If you haven’t yet experienced the underwater magic at the Great Lakes Aquarium in Duluth Minnesota, you’re in for a treat this winter. The Great Lakes Aquarium has been a staple of the Duluth waterfront since 2000, and features animals and habitats found within the Great Lakes Basin as well as animals from other freshwater ecosystems, such as the Amazon River.
The freshwater ecosystem of Lake Superior is a mysterious one, but through a variety of interactive learning experiences at the Great Lakes Aquarium in Duluth, you can learn more about this vast ecosystem and how to protect it. It’s one of the top attractions in the city, and for good reason. Come stay for a few days of quiet respite at our luxury Bed and Breakfast, and enjoy an afternoon spent at this incredible community resource. Book your room at our Minnesota Bed and Breakfast today!
The 6 Best Exhibits at the Great Lakes Aquarium
Duluth’s Great Lakes Aquarium features two floors of live animal displays, hands-on interactive exhibits, and stunning overlooks of the Duluth-Superior waterfront. To make the most out of your trip to the aquarium, it’s best to take note of the daily feeding schedule and the interpretive programs available, as well as the general exhibits. In total, there are 18 wonderful exhibits, but here are 6 of our favorites:
- The Aviary exhibit houses two distinct habitats: Pictured Rocks and Kakagon Slough. These habitats are found along the southern shore of Lake Superior and house a variety of wetland bird species.
- The St. Louis River exhibit, reflective of the largest of the rivers that flow into Lake Superior, is home to sturgeon, northern pike, bass and a variety of other fish species.
- The 85,000 gallon Isle Royale tank features many of the fish we’re familiar with in Lake Superior, including lake trout, lake sturgeon, burbot, long nose suckers, and walleye, as well as introduced species such as Kamloops and Steelhead rainbow trout, brown trout, and salmon. Also in this exhibit are the popular sport fish, muskies, carp, and bass.
- Otter Cove is, of course, home to a delightful family of otters, and is a replica of the real Otter Cove found on the Eastern shore of Lake Superior in Canada’s Pukaskwa Provincial Park.
- in the Amazing Amazon exhibit, you’ll come face to face with piranha, a freshwater stingray, cichlids, tetras, Amazon pufferfish, and more.
- Unsalted Seas, perhaps our favorite exhibit, showcases large lakes of the world, the animals that call them home, and their importance as a global freshwater resource. It also features the largest sturgeon touch tank in North America.
The Best Duluth Bed and Breakfast
As you make your plans to come to Duluth this winter, you’ll be looking for the perfect lodging. You can’t do better than the luxurious guest rooms at our Bed and Breakfast. We offer 7 uniquely appointed guest rooms, each featuring either a King or Queen Bed, private bathrooms (6 with 2-person whirlpool tubs), fireplaces, luxurious linens, and more. Amenities at the Inn include delicious breakfasts and luxury touches throughout that will compliment your stay perfectly.
We also know that location matters just as much, and sometimes more, than the creature comforts you’ll enjoy throughout your stay. Our Bed and Breakfast is situated just minutes from Duluth’s top attractions, as well as great restaurants and nightlife venues. Read, socialize, or enjoy a glass of wine in one of our common areas, or unwind by your private fireplace and rest in solitude. We offer the perfect place to disconnect from the stressors of everyday life and soak up the magic of the North Shore. Book your room at our Duluth Bed and Breakfast today.