Duluth Minnesota, easily one of the most rugged and outdoorsy towns in Minnesota, is the perfect place to spend some time. There are plenty of things to do this winter, especially if you love playing in the snow. Head out to the many Nordic skiing trails and parks in the area, hit up Spirit Mountain for some of the best downhill skiing and snowboarding in the midwest, take in an exciting hockey game, or take a fat tire bike around town. And, when you want to warm up indoors, Duluth has the best nightlife around!
Duluth is an exceptional winter destination. We love Duluth all of the time, but when the annual snows begin to fall, blanketing the area in powdery-white snow, it looks like a completely different town. The only thing better than playing in the snow in Duluth is staying at our luxury Bed and Breakfast. Come have a little fun in the snow with us this winter, and book a room at our Duluth Bed and Breakfast today.
Exhilarating Things to do in Duluth This Winter
Having once been voted Outdoor Magazines “Best Town Ever,” it should come as no surprise that Duluth is a winter wonderland, filled with a broad range of exciting things to do in the winter. Countless trails criss-cross their way through the forests and valleys and over the rugged peaks, leading the way to sensational vistas of the North Shore. To say it’s otherworldly is an understatement! It’s definitely something you have to see for yourself to believe.
The cold weather doesn’t mean the fun stops in Duluth. In fact, there are just as many things to do in Duluth during the winter as there are during the rest of the year! You’ll just want to dress in a few more layers. Are you ready for some fun? Come try these 10 exciting things to do in Duluth this winter!
- As soon as there’s enough snow, groomers around Duluth get busy grooming more than 60 km of cross country ski trails. Popular places for nordic skiing include Lester Park, Hartley Nature Center, Mangey-Snively Park, Spirit Mountain, and Snowflake Nordic Center.
- There’s exceptional downhill skiing at Spirit Mountain, where you’ll find 22 downhill runs and Minnesota’s second-longest vertical drop.
- There are plenty of places for snowshoers to explore, but one of our favorites is the Superior Hiking Trails that cuts across Duluth. Magney-Snively Park is also a good place to snowshoe, as is Hartley Nature Center.
- In January, join us in celebrating the John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon. At over 400 miles long, this is the longest sled dog race in the ower 48 states. This exciting race is a qualifier for the famed Iditarod race in Alaska.
- If you’re a fan of rock climbing, then you may want to try the exciting new sport of ice climbing! It’s definitely not for the faint of heart, but the adventurous among us will want to head to Gooseberry Falls.
- As the temperatures continue to drop, keep an eye on the ice conditions on Lake Superior so you can get in on some of the best ice fishing around.
More Winter Fun in Duluth
Do you want to take the hassle out of your trip? Try these incredible tours, offered by local tour company The Duluth Experience!
- Fat Tire Bike Adventure: Fat Tire Biking is hugely popular in the Duluth area, and there are a lot of winter trails to explore. The Duluth Experience also offers a Bike & Brew Night Ride, which includes a 3-hour guided fat tire ride at night, followed by a beer (or two) at Ursa Minor Brewing. This is a great way to experience Duluth’s trails without the hassle of renting gear and finding the best trails.
- Northwoods Snowshoe Adventure: Hiking is a popular pastime in Duluth, and that doesn’t change during the winter. Here, you’ll enjoy making your way through forested trails, you’ll take in breathtaking views along the ridgelines, and will pass by beautiful woodland streams. You’ll see Duluth for what it really is: A stunning winter wonderland.
- Winter Photography Workshop: Duluth’s winter landscapes are the perfect places to master your photography skills, and this tour is the best way to get the most picturesque shots.
- Apostle Lakeshore Ice Caves: Visiting the Apostle Lakeshore Ice Caves is a wishlist item for many! Dates aren’t yet available for this adventure, because they are highly dependent on weather conditions. However, the only way to find out future dates for this adventure is to join the mailing list.
The Best Lodging in Duluth
Whether you’ve come to play in the snow or simply relax, you’ll need somewhere warm and comfortable to put your feet up at the end of the day. Step through our door, and you’ll see in an instant why the luxury accommodations at our Bed and Breakfast are the best place to stay in Duluth. Book your room at our romantic Bed and Breakfast in Duluth today!