We’re so grateful to be celebrating another beautiful summer in Duluth. Located on the beautiful shores of Lake Superior, Duluth is a popular place to visit, especially for adventurous souls who love to get outside. Whether you’ve already made your reservation or still need to book that exciting summer getaway, you’ll find everything you’re looking for and more in Duluth. To get you started, we’ve put together a short list of fun summer activities to do while in Duluth. All you need to do now is book your room at Duluth’s finest Bed and Breakfast, the A.G. Thomson House.
Try These Summer Activities
Duluth is the adventure capital of Minnesota. Actually, I think we could go further and say Duluth is the adventure Capital of the Midwest. It’s a destination sought out by people from all across the country. There isn’t one single thing that draws visitors to Duluth, either. There’s just something about Duluth that brings out the adventurous spirit in everyone. Perhaps it’s the wide-open waters ripe for exploration, the lush forests crisscrossed by trails, or the rugged outcroppings just begging to be climbed. If you’re looking for some fun summer activities in Duluth, here are a few great ideas to get you started:
- SUP on the North Shore: Standup Paddle Boarding, otherwise known as SUPing, is one of the fastest growing water sports in the world. We’re fortunate enough to have the vast expanse of Lake Superior available to us, practically in our back yard. There’s nowhere better to try your hand at SUPing! SUPing can be enjoyed by people of all abilities and is a fun and unique way to explore the waterways of Duluth. Northshore SUP offers rentals, classes, guided tours, and more.
- Kayak Duluth’s Waterways: There are a variety of ways to enjoy the waterways around Duluth, but our favorite is canoeing or kayaking with local guides. We’ve partnered with The Duluth Experience to offer a variety of enhancements for our guests.
- Superior Hiking Trail: The Superior Hiking Trail is a 310-mile hiking trail that follows a ridge above Lake Superior. There are trailheads every 5-10 miles along the way, so you can make multiple short trips out of it or one longer trip. With panoramic overlooks of Lake Superior, the Sawtooth Mountains, and inland woodlands, this is one of the summer activities you should definitely make time for.
- Swing Bridge at Jay Cooke State Park: Jay Cooke State Park is a must for hikers, bikers, and nature lovers. One of our favorite summer activities in the park itself is taking in the dramatic views from the Swing Bridge, which dangles high above the raging St. Louis River
- Island Lake Park: Summer isn’t complete without a visit to the beach. Island Lake Park is the perfect place to cool off on a hot summer day. The park has wonderful picnic areas, a long sandy beach, and a roped-off swimming area perfect for a hot summer day.
- Gondola at Lutsen Mountain: Though it may not top more traditional lists of summer activities, taking a Gondola ride to the top of Moose Mountain during the summer is definitely worth your time. The views from here are incredible, and there are plenty of mountain top hiking trails to explore once there.
- Split Rock Lighthouse: The North Shore is nothing if it’s not scenic. Split Rock is a “must-see” attraction for travelers to the Minnesota North Shore. Built in 1905, it is one of America’s best-preserved and most recognized lighthouses. Tours are offered daily in summer.
- Mountain Biking: Duluth has an amazing array of biking trails, and has gained recognition as a top mountain biking destination. There are more than 45 miles of single-track trails in Duluth, in addition to lift-access Mountain Biking at Spirit Mountain Bike Park. Popular biking trails include Mission Creek, Hartley Park, Lester Park, Piedmont, Mont du Lac, and Pokegama.
As you can see, Duluth is an incredible outdoor playground during these warm summer months. Soon enough we’ll be talking about the dramatic, fiery colors of fall, and then soon after all of the winter activities waiting for you. Book your room at our luxurious Inn today, and enjoy an incredible summer in Duluth.