Policies & Information
For your convenience, below are a few details and information to help you plan and enjoy your time while visiting us.
- CHECK IN time for SUNDAY THROUGH FRIDAY is between 4:00 – 6:00 pm. Check in time for SATURDAY only arrival time is between 2:00 – 3:00 pm. Due to staffing, please notify us well in advance, PRIOR to your day of arrival, if you anticipate a later arrival. Arrivals after the check in window time of 6 pm will require a self check-in. We offer a streamlined self check-in process with customized and detailed arrangements to make it convenient and easy. We are happy to make this work for you so you do not feel rushed!
- As we prepare for our arrivals, the Inn is closed for check ins or bag drops between the hours of 11:00 am and 4:00 pm (Saturday ONLY 11 am to 2 pm).
- CHECK OUT is by 11:00 am. Due to high turnover and incoming reservations we are unable to accommodate late departures past 11:00 AM. Thank you in advance for your respect of our check out time allowing us to prepare for our incoming guests.
- Deposits: a 50% deposit for a multiple night reservation (100% of your total stay will be billed for a one night booking)** is required at the time of your reservation. The balance of your reservation may be processed within two weeks of your arrival date. **Our reservation system automatically bills your credit card when booking online, therefore WE MUST BE ADVISED of booking via phone OF GIFT CERTIFICATE OR GIFT CARD USE PRIOR TO BOOKING YOUR STAY. (BLACK OUT DATES APPLY TO ANY AND ALL GIFT CERTIFICATES/CARDS). ANY CREDIT CARD REFUNDS REQUIRED OR REQUESTED DUE TO THE USE OF A GIFT CARD/CERTIFICATE WILL BE ASSESSED A MINIMUM FEE OF $7.5O. BLACK OUT DATES APPLY TO ANY AND ALL GIFT CERTIFICATES. SEE BELOW. (BLACK OUT DATES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO: THE WEEK FOLLOWING CHRISTMAS THRU NEW YEARS EVE (12/26 – 1/1/), VALENTINE’S DAY, PRESIDENT’S DAY Holiday Weekend, MEMORIAL DAY Holiday Weekend, FOURTH OF JULY Holiday, MARITIME OR TALL SHIPS FESTIVAL, GRANDMA’S MARATHON, LABOR DAY Holiday Weekend OR ANY SPECIAL EVENT WEEKEND. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE). We accept Discover, Visa, Mastercard, and U.S. Currency. Rates and policies are based on double occupancy only and are subject to change at any time.
- RESERVATIONS: We require a two night minimum stay on the weekends (or holiday/special events) which typically includes a Friday and Saturday. A two night weekend stay that includes a Thursday & Friday, OR a Saturday & Sunday is welcome; however the regular weekend rate will be charged for each night. Holidays and special event days will be charged at the weekend rate, and may require a minimum two night stay. Holiday weekends may include but are not limited to New Year’s Eve/Day, Valentine’s Day, President’s Day Holiday Weekend, Memorial Day Holiday Weekend, Tall Ships Event, Fourth Fest/Fourth of July and Holiday Weekend, Blues Fest, Labor Day Holiday Weekend, etc. All rates are subject to change and are subject to increasing based on occupancy and special event/holiday dates.
- Reservations made and booked by a third party will also require credit card information of the party staying at the Inn. The third party booking the reservation may be held responsible for any fees based on the details of the reservation.
- A refund of your deposit on a multiple-night stay or payment on a single-night stay (less a $150 cancellation fee) will be offered for cancellations 45 or more days in advance of your scheduled arrival. (Grandma’s Marathon/Special Event or Group Booking Cancellations do not apply and are noted below.) Any applicable refunds will be processed within 14 business days after the cancellation has occurred. All cancellations received 44 days or less prior to your scheduled date of arrival will be charged for the full dates/balance of your reservation including any add-ons. If a gift certificate/gift card is used for your stay, the value of the certificate will be retained to cover the cancellation fee and/or entire cost of the reservation and will no longer be valid.
It is our primary desire and goal to have our guests join us as scheduled, however cancellations greatly affect a small Inn like ours.** The A G Thomson House is a small Bed and Breakfast and, unlike most hotels, we do not over book our room inventory, nor have a high volume of rooms to offer. When we guarantee an accommodation we enter into a contract with our guests, and your room will not be booked to another party. We remove that room from our available inventory thus lose the opportunity to sell it to others and guaranteeing you the particular room of your choice; that is why it is important for the guarantee to be honored both ways. Because we will strictly adhere to our policy, we strongly recommend travel insurance for the unexpected life event. A request to change the date/move a reservation is considered a cancellation request because we are potentially losing the ability to re-book that room and all policies will apply.
**We approach our business and cancellation policy in the same manner as if we were purchasing tickets to a ballgame, concert, airline tickets, etc. and know that in most if not all cases, a refund would not be provided. In these cases, Travel Insurance is the best option to cover life’s unexpected occurrences.
Our regular cancellation policy does not apply to Grandma’s Marathon, Special Events such as Tall Ships, Group Events or Group Bookings. See below for details regarding these types of bookings:
- Grandma’s Marathon/Special Event (Tall Ships, etc.) Bookings: A three-night stay at the weekend rate* is required for the weekend of Grandma’s Marathon (June 17, 2017). Days can include either a Thursday, Friday, and Saturday OR Friday, Saturday, and Sunday only – Saturday arrivals will not be accepted, nor adjustments to a reservation leaving a Saturday open will be allowed. *Rates will vary based on occupancy.
- Grandma’s Marathon and Special Event booking cancellations are as follows: Upon booking your three-night stay, we will process 100% of your stay/reservation total. This amount is non-refundable and will be forfeited upon cancellation at any time and for any reason. We regret that NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this cancellation policy.
- Tall Ships/Maritime Festival 2016 Cancellation Policy: A three-night stay at the weekend rate* is required for the weekend of the Tall Ships Festival. Days can include either a Thursday, Friday, and Saturday OR Friday, Saturday, and Sunday only – Saturday arrivals will not be accepted, nor adjustments to a reservation leaving a Saturday open will be allowed. *Rates vary based on occupancy.
- Grandma’s Marathon and Special Event booking cancellations are as follows: Upon booking your three-night stay, we will process 100% of your stay/reservation total. This amount is non-refundable and will be forfeited upon cancellation at any time and for any reason. We regret that no exceptions will be made to this cancellation policy.
- GROUP RESERVATIONS: A group reservation is when two or more rooms are booked at the same time, for the same period of time, traveling together or for an event being held in the area or at the Inn. A group reservation deposit is NON-REFUNDABLE. The balance of the booking will be billed 45 days in advance of arrival at which time the entire amount is NON-REFUNDABLE. No exceptions will be made to this policy. A group reservation may be subject to a Use of Space fee beginning at $750 depending upon the purpose of the booking and use of the Inn. The entire Inn may be required to be booked to avoid disruption to the booking party and any other guests staying at the Inn. A fee WILL apply if the Inn is being booked for a family and/or wedding party attending a wedding off-site; family or group gathering, etc. and must be discussed with the Innkeeper prior to booking and a contract and/or agreement signed. Special/Small event group bookings will be assessed as noted below. Our Grandma’s Marathon Cancellation Policy (payment policy may differ slightly) will apply to all group reservations. Gift certificates/cards, discounts, or package rates WILL NOT apply to a group reservation. Group reservations must adhere to our EXCLUSIVITY CLAUSE (see below).
- THIRD PARTY GIFT CERTIFICATES (BedandBreakfast.com/MBBA/BnBFinder): WE MUST BE ADVISED OF GIFT CERTIFICATE OR GIFT CARD USE PRIOR TO BOOKING YOUR STAY. ANY CREDIT CARD REFUNDS REQUIRED OR REQUESTED DUE TO THE USE OF A GIFT CARD/CERTIFICATE WILL BE ASSESSED A MINIMUM FEE OF $7.5O.
- WE WILL ONLY ACCEPT ONE (1) GIFT CERTIFICATE/CARD of any kind, or a maximum of $500, PER STAY – multiple certificates/cards cannot be used per stay. Gift certificates or gift cards are only valid on a Room Stay only and cannot be applied toward the purchase of merchandise or package items. Rate and/or room discounts or special packages or specials will not be valid, applied or available when a gift certificate/card is used under any circumstances. This includes any mid-week specials or other advertised specials.
- Our reservation system automatically bills your credit card when booking online , therefore WE MUST BE ADVISED OF GIFT CERTIFICATE OR GIFT CARD USE PRIOR TO BOOKING YOUR STAY online. Please CALL US to make your reservation when using a gift card/certificate of any kind. Any booking made online when a gift card/certificate is to be applied will be assessed a minimum fee of $7.50 to process any refunds or credits to the credit card. The entire balance of the reservation will be processed at the time of booking with the use of any gift certificate/gift card. BLACK OUT DATES APPLY TO ANY AND ALL GIFT CERTIFICATES. See above and below.
- HOUSE GIFT CERTIFICATES (AG Thomson House Gift Cards/Certificates): Our reservation system automatically bills your credit card when booking online , therefore WE MUST BE ADVISED OF GIFT CERTIFICATE OR GIFT CARD USE PRIOR TO BOOKING YOUR STAY online. Please CALL US to make your reservation when using a gift card/certificate. Any booking make online when a gift card/certificate is to be applied will be assessed a minimum fee of $7.50 to process any refunds or credits to the credit card. Gift certificates/cards are valid for use on a Room Stay only and cannot be used toward the purchase of merchandise or package items. Only one (1) gift card/certificate may be applied or used per stay. Rate and/or room discounts, special packages or specials will not be applied or available when a gift certificate/card of any type is used under any circumstances. This includes any mid-week specials or other advertised specials/packages. Restrictions are noted on the certificate. Use of a gift certificate must be advised at the time of booking, and a two night minimum may be required based upon occupancy and date of reservation. BLACK OUT DATES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO: THE WEEK FOLLOWING CHRISTMAS THRU NEW YEARS EVE (12/26 – 1/1), VALENTINE’S DAY, PRESIDENT’S DAY HOLIDAY WEEKEND, MEMORIAL DAY HOLIDAY WEEKEND, FOURTH OF JULY HOLIDAY AND WEEKEND, MARITIME OR TALL SHIPS FESTIVAL, GRANDMA’S MARATHON, LABOR DAY HOLIDAY WEEKEND OR ANY SPECIAL EVENT WEEKEND. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE. Any fees such as cancellation or re-booking, etc. will be deducted from the original amount of the certificate if necessary. Gift certificates cannot be transferred to another party if the recipient is unable or unwilling to use the certificate. Lost or stolen gift certificates or gift cards will not be replaced.
- SMALL EVENT/ELOPEMENT BOOKINGS: The AG Thomson House Bed and Breakfast is able to hold very small events, or elopements with the exception of a full wedding**. Please contact the Innkeeper for details, fees, and booking requirements. Group events will require the entire Inn and/or part of the Inn to be booked, as well as a Use of Space Fee will be applied. A minimum fee for Use of Space for any event begins at $1800 and is for the use of our Inn and grounds only. No additional services are provided and fees may apply for any excessive clean up, damage or additional requested services. Maximum occupancy for any event held at the Inn, whether outside or inside, is 14. This number includes any and all guests, outside attending guests, officiant for the ceremony, etc. A list of attendees and guests will be required and a contract will be put in place in detail prior to booking. All payments and deposits are non-refundable once the Inn and/or rooms are booked. Gift certificates/cards will not be accepted for a group event. **We are no longer able to host/hold weddings – small elopements only.
- TRAVEL INSURANCE: We highly recommend purchasing Travel Insurance; due to our cancellation policy that will be strictly enforced. We are not affiliated with, nor recommend, any particular company. We are providing some travel insurance options for consideration in respect to our strict cancellation policy: **http://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/ **http://www.travelguard.com/ **http://www.travelexinsurance.com/.
- EXCLUSIVITY: Rooms and house use are for REGISTERED GUESTS of the AG Thomson House only. For the comfort, convenience, respect of privacy, and to ensure a quiet, quality stay for all of our guests, we ask that you do not bring in guests, friends, or family that you are visiting in the area. We are happy to pre-arrange a tour of the common areas of the Inn with advance notice.
- WE ARE A SMOKE FREE FACILITY: The AG Thomson House is proud to offer a smoke-free environment. Smoking is not permitted in guest rooms, on guest room balconies, indoor or outdoor public areas, nor anywhere on our grounds where it may impact other guests or pose a fire hazard. We will assess a $750 fee to your credit card for any violations of our no smoking policy and we reserve the right to ask you to leave the premises immediately. If the room is damaged or requires an excessive amount of cleaning; an additional cleaning fee will be assessed to your credit card at a minimum hourly rate of $95/hour and any damages will be assessed the value of repair or replacement. Violation of this policy also violates Minnesota State Law and you may subject to the cost of the fine. Our non-smoking policy includes all types of tobacco, as well as e-cigarettes, etc.
- OCCUPANCY: All of our rooms (and rates) are based on Single or Double Occupancy only. Due to health code regulations we cannot and do not accommodate more than two persons to a room.
- CHILDREN: Young adults 16 and over are permitted. Our Inn is designed for a quiet getaway for our adult guests. We will reserve the right to accept or reject a booking if we believe it may impact a romantic retreat. Sorry, we are not childproofed and are unable to accommodate small children. Violation of this policy will result in being asked to depart the Inn.
- PETS: We are the ultimate animal lovers; however for the safety, comfort, and convenience of all of our guests, we regret that we do not allow pets.
- QUIET SEASON AND HIGH SEASON: We are somewhat flexible on our two night weekend stay policy during our Quiet Season; please inquire – some restrictions or fees may apply. Holidays and special events, as well as gift certificate usage, are exceptions and will require a two-night weekend stay. Holidays and special event days will be charged at the weekend rate, and may require a minimum two night stay. Holiday weekends may include but are not limited to December 26 through January 1, Valentine’s Day, President’s Day, Memorial Day, Tall Ships Event, Fourth Fest/Fourth of July, Blues Fest, Labor Day, etc.
- BREAKFAST: We offer our guests a traditional dining room service of our full multi-course breakfast included in your stay. For a wonderful, private add-on enhancement, we offer breakfast delivery to your door as well.
- CANDLES: As required by law and fire code, and for the safety and security of all of our guests, we are unable to allow the use of open flames such as candles, etc.
- WHIRLPOOLS: We supply scented oils to be used in your whirlpool tub ONLY. WE DO NOT ALLOW THE USE of any other items such as bubble bath, oatmeal scrubs, etc. as they cause damage and blockage in the whirlpool lines. We are happy to provide extra scents for your use.
- OILS/LOTIONS: Use of any oils that contain Grapeseed oil are not allowed. We have found that this type of oil causes PERMANENT damage to linens.
- PARKING: We offer convenient and secure off street parking on our grounds located behind the Inn. Upon arrival, pull in our driveway to the right of the house and this will take you to our secure parking lot. To ensure a space for all of our guests, please park between the lights, or reflective poles (during winter months).
- We are cleaning green! In our efforts toward environmental responsibility, we use only green cleaners.
SPECIALS & PACKAGES
Pamper yourself and your companion with any one of our unique and special packages that are sure to enhance your stay at our Duluth Bed and Breakfast!
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
#1 BED & BREAKFAST IN THE US 2016 TRAVELERS CHOICE AWARD WINNER TRIPADVISOR.COM
#10 BED & BREAKFAST IN THE WORLD 2016 TRAVELERS CHOICE AWARD WINNER TRIPADVISOR.COM
BEST OF MINNESOTA - BEST URBAN B&B 2016 BEST OF MINNESOTA
BEST OF MINNESOTA - CLASSIC ELEGANCE2015 BEST OF MINNESOTA
BEST BED & BREAKFAST IN THE MIDWEST MIDWEST LIVING MAGAZINE