Duluth is breathtakingly beautiful in the fall, and one of the best ways to take in the vibrant colors of fall is along the North Shore Scenic Drive. And, though we are a little bit sad to say goodbye to the warmth and fun of summer, we also find ourselves looking forward to the crisp, cool days of fall. Hints of autumn’s vibrant display of color are already starting to appear in the northernmost points of Minnesota, and soon enough we’ll be reaching peak fall foliage.
Make the most out of your trip to Duluth this fall, and stay at our luxurious Duluth Bed and Breakfast – Duluth’s #1 Rated Bed and Breakfast on Trip Advisor! Book your room at our Duluth Bed and Breakfast today!
Enjoy the North Shore Scenic Drive
There is little question that the North Shore Scenic Drive, which follows along Highway 61, is one of the most popular scenic drives to take in the Duluth area. This drive, which meanders along the shores of Lake Superior, is beautiful any time of the year. Come fall, the breathtaking beauty of this area takes on an entirely new dimension, with vibrant shades of yellows, oranges, reds, and greens transforming the landscape.
There are a number of beautiful things to see as you make your way along the North Shore Scenic Drive, too. The route begins in downtown Duluth in the Canal Park neighborhood and continues north from there. Here are a few of the top attractions you’ll see as you travel along the North Shore Scenic Drive:
- Stony Point, a beautiful rocky area near two harbors that is a great place to get out and take a walk.
- Gooseberry Falls State Park, home to scenic waterfalls and great trails to explore.
- Split Rock Lighthouse, a truly beautiful lighthouse and one of the most photographed places in the area. There are a number of great trails to explore in the area, too.
- The striking beauty of Palisade Head, a stop that is well worth your time!
- Tettegouche state park – another great place to see powerful waterfalls, walk the trails, and observe wildlife.
- Sugarloaf Cove, where you’ll find a beautiful nature center that showcases 1.1 billion-year-old lava flows, and which offers a number of nature walks and scenic areas to explore.
- Temperance River State Park gives hikers access to the beautiful Temperance River Gorge. For a great view, head down to the footbridge below Highway 61 and enjoy great views of the Temperance River lagoon.
- At Lutsen Mountain, a popular ski area in the winter, take a tram ride to the top of the peaks and soak up one of the best fall views in the area.
Other Scenic Drives Near Duluth
Though the North Shore Scenic Drive is one of our favorites, there are other scenic drives in the area that are just as beautiful.
- Skyline Parkway: You don’t even have to leave the downtown Duluth area to enjoy a truly spectacular scenic drive. Head to the Skyline Parkway, which traverses the hills above Duluth, and enjoy scenic overlooks of Lake Superior below. The elevation here is around 500 feet, giving you plenty of height to see for miles.
- Lake Superior Circle Tour: Whether on your way too or from Duluth, you don’t want to miss your chance to drive the Lake Superior Circle Tour. This 1300-mile loop takes you around the world’s largest freshwater lake, where you’ll enjoy the soaring cliffs, sandy beaches, dazzling waterfalls, and colorful northern forests.
- Just about any route can be turned into a scenic drive in the fall – so don’t hesitate to ask us for more recommendations! Try some of these scenic routes while you’re here, and let us know which ones are your favorites!
Where to Stay in Duluth
It won’t take you long to see just about special Duluth is. Fall colors in the Duluth area will peak sometime in late September or early October. They first appear further inland away from the cool breezes coming off Lake Superior, and they show up here on the shoreline later in the season. The first trees to turn color will be the maples, followed by poplar, birch, aspen, and tamarack trees.
You also don’t have to venture far to enjoy the very best fall has to offer. Our luxury Bed and Breakfast is located on 2 beautiful acres, with plenty of manicured gardens for you to enjoy that put on their own display of fall brilliance. Add to your stay well-decorated guest rooms with modern amenities, a freshly prepared gourmet breakfast each morning, and our unbeatable hospitality, and you have the recipe for an extraordinary getaway. Book your room at our luxury Duluth Bed and Breakfast today!