Summer in Minnesota is commonly referred to as “patio season.” The reason for that? Local restaurants with superb outdoor dining options and lake views are popular during these warm months. The combination of delicious food and warm sunshine make for the perfect dining experience. After all, everyone wants to get outside to enjoy the stunning views of Lake Superior whenever possible after enduring the grueling, ice-covered months of winter. The cool breezes drifting off the lake are a welcome breath of fresh air during the sweltering days of summer. Breakfast is always taken care of at our elegant Bed and Breakfast, but dinner is a great opportunity to explore the many options for lakefront dining in Duluth. Relax in our comfortable accommodations, and discover the best of Duluth this summer. Book your room today!
Duluth’s Best Lakefront Dining
We’ve always known that the ever-present views of Lake Superior are one of Duluth’s finest features, and they never fail to disappoint. The culinary scene in Duluth has scene tremendous growth in recent years, becoming a city filled with Craft breweries, artisanal cocktails, locavore cooking, food trucks with dining both incredibly diverse and satisfying. Though there are many wonderful choices for lakefront dining, here are ten favorites:
- Va Bene Berarducci’s Cafe: Va Bene offer’s authentic Italian food like no other in Duluth. This charming cafe is locally owned, and the fantastic patio views of the lake make this restaurant more than worth a visit. Don’t forget to save some room for the Italian gelato before you leave!
- New Scenic Cafe: A true Duluth gem, the New Scenic Café is an off the beaten path, eclectic dining experience worth indulging in. The Café prides itself on a vibrant collection of local art, their own herb garden, and a unique menu that features seasonally-inspired foods you won’t find anywhere else in Duluth. The food, combined with their incredible lake views, are more than worth any wait you may find.
- Black Woods Bar & Grill: The Black Woods Bar and Grill serves the best locally-sourced and farm fresh food. This lakefront dining establishment has an extensive seafood and meat menu, with views that certainly won’t disappoint.
- Fitgers: The historic Fitgers is a Duluth staple and a lakefront favorite. The Fitgers complex is actually home to 3 wonderful restaurants, all with patio seating, as well as a micro-brewery.
- Canal Park Brewery: While we’re mentioning breweries, we may as well mention Canal Park Brewery. This modern brewpub is located in Duluth’s popular Canal Park, and offers guests delicious food and a great view over Lake Superior. While there, be sure to sample some of their delicious beer, and maybe even take a tour of their brewery.
- Silos Restaurant: Duluth’s newest addition, the Silos Restaurant is a unique venue like no other. Located on the Waterfront with spectacular views of the Aerial Lift Bridge and the Harbor for ideal “ship watching”. An exquisite menu sure to please the most refined palate.
- Lake Avenue Restaurant and Bar: Located in historic Canal Park, the Lake Avenue Restaurant and Bar is known for its gourmet flair and eclectic menu. Their high quality fare is divine with an ever changing seasonal menu, and a unique style in the heart of Canal Park.
- Northern Waters Smokehaus: The Smokehaus is a unique gourmet specialty market and restaurant located on Lake Superior in Duluth, Minnesota. The shop itself is filled with smoked fish, handcrafted smoked meats, artisan salumi, unique deli sandwiches, and other gourmet sundries. It quickly became a Duluth favorite, ranking as the top restaurant in all of Duluth. It’s no wonder, either, with their classic style and innovate menu.
- At Sara’s Table/Chester Creek Cafe: As it is best said by them “Creative Cuisine with a Conscience”. Located near the University of Minnesota – Duluth and offering a lake view from their outdoor deck, Sara’s Table has everything and more to offer. Exceeding expectations and offering an amazing menu that will meet the needs of a vegan, vegetarian, gluten intolerant or any other dietary specific needs. And, they were proudly featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.
- The Portland Malt Shop: Who doesn’t love a good malt on a hot summer day? This is truly your classic Duluth summer experience, which is why we’ve included it in this list. The Portland Malt Shop, once a gas station, has been serving Duluth residents ice cream, floats, and malts since 1989. It’s known for long lines during the summer, but we guarantee it’s worth the wait on a hot summer afternoon.
We know our guests like to eat good food while on vacation, and lakefront dining is even better. Try any one of these great Duluth restaurants, and you won’t be disappointed. Book your stay at our tasteful Duluth Bed and Breakfast before the summer is over.