On its face, a visit to the Great Lakes Aquarium might not seem like the grand adventure that it is. However, the Great Lakes Aquarium in Duluth is actually incredibly entertaining, and certainly something you should add to your itinerary while in Duluth. It’s also a great way to take a break in between all of the incredible outdoor adventures and other fun things you’ll be doing in Duluth while here.
Duluth is a city with plenty to offer, whether you prefer to be indoors or out. And, this summer and fall, we’re all going to need fun places to get away and relax once the threat of this global pandemic has passed. When the time comes, there’s no where quite like Duluth, and the A.G. Thomson House Bed and Breakfast. Give yourself something to look forward to this year, and book a room at our luxury Bed and Breakfast in Duluth.
What to Do at The Great Lakes Aquarium in Duluth
The Great Lakes Aquarium is one of the top attractions in Duluth. But you shouldn’t expect your traditional aquarium experience at this waterfront attraction. Duluth’s Great Lakes Aquarium is actually the only aquarium in the country that focuses on freshwater exhibits.
The 3-story building of the Great Lakes Aquarium sits on Duluth’s’ waterfront near the Canal Park Neighborhood. The exhibits housed inside highlight the unique ecosystem found within the Great Lakes Basin, as well as other freshwater ecosystems in the world, like the Amazon River. In total, there are 205 different species of fish, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and mammals on display in the aquarium. The highlights of the Great Lakes Aquarium include the following exhibits:
- Isle Royale, the main exhibit, which contains trout and lake sturgeon, and other fish species found in the deep, cold waters of the Great Lakes.
- Baptism River, a fast-moving exhibit that has a waterfall, replicates the Baptism River that flows through Tettagouche State Park.
- The St. Louis River, a slow-moving water feature that houses perch, walleye, sturgeon, channel catfish, and other native fish. It’s no wonder the real St. Louis River is a popular spot for fishermen and women!
- The Wetlands exhibit, modeled after Pictured Rocks and Kakagon Slough, features sandstone cliffs, a heron, and native turtles.
- Otter Cove, featuring North American River Otters
- Amazing Amazon, featuring unique creatures found in the largest river in the world. Species include Pacu, Arowana, Piranha, electric eels, and more.
- Unsalted Seas, which features the largest sturgeon tank in North America, highlights just how important freshwater ecosystems like the Great Lakes are in the world.
Explore the Canal Park Neighborhood
Just a short walk away from the Great Lakes Aquarium is the rest of Duluth’s popular Canal Park Neighborhood and the perfect place to unwind and spend the rest of your afternoon. From here, you can enjoy some of Duluth’s top attractions and activities.
Duluth’s popular Lakewalk starts in Canal Park and travels 7.5 miles along the shores of beautiful Lake Superior. Highlights along the Lakewalk include great views of the Aerial Lift Bridge, the Lake Superior Maritime Museum, the Lighthouse at the end of the pier, Uncle Harvey’s Mausoleum (aka “the cribs”), the Northland Vietnam Veterans and Korean War Memorials, the historic Fitger’s Complex, Leif Erickson Park and the Rose Garden, Brighton Beach, and so much more.
If you don’t feel like venturing down the Lakewalk, you can stay in Canal Park and enjoy an afternoon of ship watching as boats come and go through the Aerial Lift Bridge, enjoy a cold pint of beer at Canal Park Brewing, browse the shops of this lively part of Duluth, and otherwise just relax and soak up a quintessential Duluth afternoon.
Discover Comfort at our Duluth Bed and Breakfast
The ultimate in comfort awaits at our Duluth Bed and Breakfast. With 7 uniquely appointed guestrooms, complete with luxurious linens and the modern amenities you crave, a scrumptious daily breakfast, and unbeatable “Minnesota Nice” hospitality, you won’t find lodging that compares with the experience you have at our Duluth Bed and Breakfast.
Treat yourself, and stay in luxury at the A.G. Thomson House Bed and Breakfast. Book your getaway today!