Compare Rooms at Our Romantic Duluth Inn
|Lake Superior Suite||Two||King||2 Person Whirlpool & Walk In Shower||1st floor, private entrance, fireplace, limited accessibility||Check Rates|
|Brule River Retreat||Two||Queen||2 Person Whirlpool w/ Shower||2nd floor, partial lake view, fireplace||Check Rates|
|North Shore Retreat||Two||Queen||2 Person Whirlpool w/ Shower||2nd floor, partial lake view, fireplace||Check Rates|
|Ryerson Suite||Two||King||2 Person Whirlpool w/ Shower||2nd floor, partial lake view, fireplaces||Check Rates|
|Salyards Room||Two||King||2 Person Whirlpool w/ Shower||2nd floor, partial lake view, fireplace||Check Rates|
|Edwin H. Hewitt Room||Two||King||Clawfoot Tub w/ Rain Shower||2nd floor, private balcony, partial lake view, fireplace||Check Rates|
|Mayor’s Chamber||Two||Queen||2 Person Whirlpool w/ Shower||2nd floor, fireplace||Check Rates|
Our award winning romantic Duluth inn offers everything you expect in a five star premier hotel but with the comfort, convenience and warmth of home.
- Gas fireplaces
- Private bathrooms
- Hair dryer, flat iron, and curling iron
- Ultra HD Smart TV with DVD players
- Black out blinds
- Two-person spa whirlpools in select rooms
- Refrigerators & microwaves in select rooms
- In-room single cup Keurig coffee makers in select rooms
The A G Thomson House Bed and Breakfast is ideally situated on two acres of private grounds in the heart of Duluth’s Mansion District. Our grounds are surrounded by award winning gardens, wildflowers and towering pines. Nestled on our stunning property we offer guests multiple, cozy sitting areas to relax and enjoy.
A G Thomson House warmly welcomes all guests. However, due to the historic significance of our early 1909 Duluth Colonial, we are not completely wheelchair accessible. Removal of necessary physical barriers for accessibility is not readily achievable in all areas of the Inn as such removal would threaten or destroy the historic significance of the property. However, the features below show the extensive efforts we have made to ensure all guests can visit our historic inn.
Below is a list of these barriers as well as features to help those with disabilities. We are more than happy to talk with any guest directly to determine appropriate lodging options.
- No elevator to the second floor
- Numerous steps. The main house has an extensive staircase up to the rooms which are all located on the second floor.
- Entry steps into the Inn consist of four steps into the main house.
- Narrow hallways and doorways do not accommodate a wheelchair. However, once the four steps have been navigated, inside the main house the living room and dining room are wheelchair accessible.
For those who have limited use of a wheelchair, we offer the following room features:
- The Lake Superior Suite is located on the main floor/level of the Carriage House and can be accessible for those requiring limited use of a wheelchair through its private entrance.
- The height of the king size bed will require assistance for entry. It is not adjustable to a lower level.
- The suite offers a large walk-in/roll-in shower, a handheld shower head, grab bars, and roll-up sink.
- There is a private parking lot with seven spaces convenient to the suite.
- We are happy to help guests with luggage
For special accommodation needs, please call us directly at (218) 724-3464 so we can help you determine the best guest room to ensure you have a comfortable arrival and enjoyable stay.
In addition, we work to ensure every guest who wishes to visit can do so regardless of their physical abilities. Among the ways we comply with ADA:
- We ensure that individuals with disabilities can make reservations during the same hours and in the same manner as individuals without disabilities.
- We have identified and described accessible features in our bed and breakfast and guest rooms in detail to allow individuals with disabilities to determine whether our B&B meets their needs.
- We ensure that accessible guest rooms are held for use by individuals with disabilities until all other guest rooms of that type have been rented.
- We guarantee that the specific accessible guest rooms, once reserved, are held for the reserving customer. We make reasonable efforts with third-party reservation systems to make accessible rooms available through at least some of these services and they must provide these third-party services with information concerning the accessible features of the hotel and the accessible rooms.
- Guests with legitimate service animals as defined in the ADA will be provided access to all areas of the inn afforded to those without service animals.
A G Thomson House is committed to facilitating the accessibility and usability of this website for all people with disabilities. We will continue to implement the relevant portions of the World Wide Web Consortium’s Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 Level AA (WCAG 2.0 AA) or such other standards as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). On a periodic basis, our website will be tested with assistive technology.
Please be aware that our efforts are ongoing. You may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us 24/7 at (218) 724-3464 with questions or concerns regarding ADA accessibility, including issues accessing the website or with questions regarding the accessibility and personal needs of the various rooms.
Please read the details of our policies carefully. If you have any questions, please reach out to us at (218) 724-3464 and we are more than happy to answer any questions you may have. We are continually monitoring and updating our procedures and policies to ensure the health and safety of our staff and guests. Please reference our Dedicated Page to our COVID and Stay Safe, Stay Small Procedures and for all up-to-date policies for the Inn, breakfast service, etc. In consideration of and respect for our staff and other guests, unvaccinated guests will be required to wear a mask in all common areas of the Inn. We highly recommend that vaccinated guests wear masks in all common areas.
- SUNDAY thru FRIDAY – Check in time is between 4 pm and 6 pm.
- SATURDAY only – Check in time is between 2 pm and 3 pm.
If you are unable to arrive within the check in window, or prefer to take your time along the way, we are happy to accommodate your later arrival with a streamlined contactless (self) check in that we will arrange for you. We appreciate advance notice (before your day of arrival) if you will be arriving outside of our check in window. We are unable to offer early check in or bag drops without the addition of our pre-arranged add-on early check in enhancement. Early arrivals will be assessed a fee of $25/15 minute increments if not pre-arranged.
Check out time is no later than 11:00 AM (10:00 am if booked via AirBnB or OTA)
We are unable to offer a late check without the addition of our pre-arranged add-on late check out enhancement. Late check outs after the noted times will be assessed a fee of $25/15 minute increments.
A 55% deposit will be processed for a multiple night stay. 100% will be processed for a single night stay.
Special events (Grandma’s Marathon, Tall Ships, or others) will require 100% non-refundable payment at the time of booking.
Note: AirBnB, Booking.com or any of its subsidiaries, Expedia or any of its subsidiaries, or any other NON-DIRECT bookings will have the full reservation balance collected upon booking and will not be refundable. No exceptions will be made to this policy.
- Two (2) night minimum is required for weekend stays or any holidays or special events at the discretion of the Innkeeper. We consider a weekend to include Thursday/Friday, Friday/Saturday, or Saturday/Sunday.
- Three (3) night minimums are required for Grandma’s Marathon, Tall Ships, or any other special event at the discretion of the Innkeeper.
*Room rates vary and are subject to change daily based upon occupancy and special events. Lodging and Sales Tax is not included in the base rate and will be added at a rate of 11.875%)
(please read carefully and reach out with any questions)
Single Room Cancellations:
- A refund of the deposit on a multiple-night stay or payment on a single-night stay, less a per room $150 cancellation fee, will be offered for cancellations 35 or more days in advance of the scheduled arrival. Cancellations requested 35 days or less will be charged the balance of the reservation.
- A request to change the date or move a reservation 35 days or more in advance of the scheduled arrival on a single room reservation will result in an added rebooking fee of $150 without exception. The remaining full amount of the reservation including any add-on packages, will be collected upon any rebooking and will be non-refundable at that time. Re-booking does not apply to multiple room or event bookings.
Multiple Room Cancellations*:
(*Multiple room or group bookings consist of rooms that are booked as a group with two or more rooms booked for guests traveling together)
- A refund of the deposit, less a per room $150 cancellation fee, will be offered for cancellations 60 or more days in advance of the scheduled arrival. Cancellations for multiple room/group bookings 60 days or less will be charged the balance of the reservation. Room credits will not be offered.
(*Events include but are not limited to Grandma’s Marathon, Tall Ships or any Duluth Special Event, Elopements, Vow Renewals or any event in which the entire Inn has been booked)
- Due to 100% of the payment collected at the time of booking, a refund will be offered, less a per room $150 cancellation fee, for cancellations 60 or more days in advance of the scheduled arrival. Cancellations requested 60 days or less will not be offered a refund or credit.
Elopement/Vow Renewal Policy and Cancellations
- Additional requests such as flowers, etc. may be added for an additional up-charge and based upon availability.
- Rate is for double occupancy/bride and groom only.
- Maximum number of guests to view the elopement or vow renewal is 10. Please note the Inn is exclusive to guests that have booked a room only – visiting guests viewing the elopement will be asked to comply with our exclusivity policy once the ceremony, pictures, etc. are completed. If additional guests are desired or requested, use of the entire Inn, the rate and policies will be adjusted and subject to change.
- Playing or arranging desired music, or assistance with playing music, is not included in the package.
Policy for Elopement or Vow Renewal Cancellations:
- Due to 100% of the payment collected at the time of booking, a refund will be offered, less a per room $150 cancellation fee, for cancellations 60 or more days in advance of the scheduled arrival. Cancellations requested 60 days or less will not be offered a refund or credit. Any items pre-purchased will not be refunded.
COVID NOTE: The A G Thomson House is not, nor will be, held liable for cancellation refunds, credits, etc. in the case of a cancellation or closing of any event, business, or any other closings in our or any city, state or region Covid related. Our cancellation policy will be strictly enforced and will apply to all bookings and reservations unless a stay at home order or State of Minnesota restrictions regarding travel and health are put in place.
Travel insurance is highly recommended, and several options are provided on our policies page, to cover unexpected life events. We approach our business and cancellation policy in the same manner as if we were purchasing tickets to a ballgame, concert, airline tickets, etc. and know that in most if not all cases, a refund would not be provided. Equally, if we were to require cancellation of your booking for any reason, our guests would expect a refund and/or credit and it would be provided without hesitation. We ask for the same consideration and understanding of our policies for our small business. The A G Thomson House Bed and Breakfast is a non-corporate, small, family Veteran and Woman owned.
We are not affiliated with, nor recommend, any particular company. We are providing some travel insurance options for consideration with respect to our strict cancellation policy:
We will accept one (1) gift certificate/card/voucher of ANY KIND, for a maximum of $500 PER STAY – multiple certificates/cards/vouchers cannot be used per stay. Gift certificates, gift cards or vouchers are only valid on a ROOM STAY and cannot be applied toward the purchase of merchandise or package items. Use of a gift certificate requires booking via phone (218.724.3464) to avoid credit card charges. A charge of $15 will be applied if booked online and a gift certificate/voucher is used and incurs an overcharge and/or refund. Black out and use dates apply to all gift certificates or vouchers. Note: The AG Thomson House is for sale. In the event of a sale or close of business for any reason, all outstanding gift certificates, gift cards, or vouchers and/or credits will no longer be valid, refundable, or transferable.
Breakfast (see our breakfast page for more details)
If you have a severe allergy of any kind, or any disease affected by diet, please note that we do not have a separate area in our small kitchen and there WILL be a risk of cross contamination. We are not familiar with nor have extensive knowledge pertaining to each particular allergy or disease so it is incumbent upon our guests to fully inform the Innkeeper in advance. We do all we can to accommodate, however the AG Thomson House will not be held liable for any cross-contamination. (We are sorry, but we are unable to accommodate fad diets such as the Keto, Paleo, Atkins, South Beach, JJ Virgin, etc.)
Rooms, Main and Carriage House, and Inn property and grounds use are for Registered Guests of the A G Thomson House only. For the comfort, convenience, respect of privacy, liability and to ensure a quiet, quality stay for all of our guests, we respectfully ask that you do not bring guests, friends, or family that you are visiting in the area to the Inn or on our grounds. We are happy to pre-arrange a tour of the Inn with advance notice. Please note that we will strictly enforce this policy to ensure the safety and health of our registered guests and staff during and after the COVID pandemic.
The A G Thomson House is proud to offer a smoke-free environment. Smoking is not permitted in guest rooms, on guest room balconies, indoor or outdoor public areas, nor anywhere on our grounds where it may impact other guests or pose a fire hazard. We will assess a $450 fee to your credit card for any violations of our room non-smoking policy and we reserve the right to ask you to leave the premises immediately. If the room is damaged or requires an excessive amount of cleaning; an additional cleaning fee will be assessed to your credit card at a minimum hourly rate of $150/hour and any damages will be assessed the value of repair or replacement. Violation of this policy also violates Minnesota State Law and you may be subject to the cost of the fine. Our non-smoking policy includes all types of tobacco, as well as e-cigarettes, vaping, etc.
All of our rooms (and rates) are based on Single or Double Occupancy only. Due to health code regulations we do not accommodate more than two persons to a room.
Young adults 16 and over welcome. Our Inn is designed for a quiet getaway for our adult guests. We will reserve the right to accept or reject a booking if we believe it may impact a romantic retreat. We are not childproofed and are unable to accommodate small children. Violation of this policy will result in being asked to depart the Inn.
We are the ultimate animal lovers; however for the safety, comfort, and convenience of all of our guests, we regret that we are unable to accommodate pets in our rooms or on our grounds; this includes bringing a pet along with the intention of keeping them in your vehicle during your stay.
As required by law and fire code, and for the safety and security of all of our guests, we are unable to allow the use of open flames such as candles, etc.
We supply scented oils to be used in your whirlpool tub ONLY. We do not allow the use of any other items such as bubble bath, oatmeal scrubs, etc. as they cause damage and blockage in the whirlpool lines. We are happy to provide extra scents for your use. Use of the Whirlpools before 8:00 AM and after 10:30 PM is not permitted. Use of unauthorized products in the whirlpool will result in a damage and cleaning fee applied to the reservation.
Oils and Lotions
Use of any oils are not permitted. Oils cause PERMANENT damage to linens. Use and damage to linens will result in a damage and replacement fee.
We offer convenient and secure off street parking on our grounds located behind the Inn. Upon arrival, pull in our driveway to the right of the house and this will take you to our secure parking lot behind the main house. To ensure a space for all of our guests, please park between the lights, or reflective poles (during winter months).
EV Parking now available! We now offer two (2) spaces for Level 2 Electric charging. We must be notified and reserved in advance to ensure a dedicated space for your electric vehicle. See our Enhancements page for details.