We talk a lot about the breweries in Duluth, but they certainly aren’t the only places to enjoy a deliciously crafted beverage on the North Shore. There are also some great distilleries here, such as Vikre Distillery, as well as cideries and wineries worth tasting. One of our favorites is Duluth Cider, but also worthy of mention is Wild State Cider, both of which are relative newcomers to the craft beverage scene in Duluth.
While you’re up here visiting and enjoying the best of fall in Duluth, make sure to stay at Duluth’s #1 best Bed and Breakfast, the A.G. Thomson House. Duluth Cider and Wild State Cider are both just minutes from our luxurious Bed and Breakfast and in the heart of Duluth’s Lincoln Park neighborhood, which is also home to other Duluth mainstays like Bent Paddle Brewing, Ursa Minor Brewing, OMC Smokehouse, and all of the other locally-made, one-of-a-kind goods created here. Get in on all the fun this fall, and book your room at our stunning Duluth Bed and Breakfast today!
5 Reasons to Visit Duluth Cider This Fall
The delicious ciders made by Duluth Cider are produced entirely from apples grown in the Great Lakes Region. The owners of Duluth Cider work tirelessly to deliver a high-quality cider made with dedication and care, which is evident immediately when you try their ciders. Their love of cider starts with the very land from which their apples are sourced, and it’s a love to comes shining through in their final product. Since opening just 2 years ago, they’ve already been winning awards and are listed as one of the best cideries in Minnesota.
Here are a few great reasons to make a visit to Duluth Cider when you’re in town:
- The ciders themselves, are of course the #1 reason to Visit Duluth Cider this fall. The ciders they produced are made using a blend of modern and heritage varieties that utilizes a 15-barrel system. Using the unique flavors of the apples as their foundation, they experiment with different hops, yeasts, and wild fermentation, which in the end produces an exceptional range of delicious and uniquely crafted beverages.
- The apples are all sourced from Minnesota, which is important to this company, and to Minnesotans as a whole.
- Their taproom is absolutely beautiful and housed in a centuries-old building that actually used to be the stables for the local Postal Service. Inside the taproom, you’ll find beautiful blond-brick walls and a striking wood-paneled ceiling. It’s rustic yet modern and has a capacity of 115 people (though, obviously, it’s restricted during COVID).
- They host local musicians and other events on their stage in normal times – so it gives us something to look forward to in future years! When it’s not in use, the stage offers more seating for their taproom.
- Visiting their taproom puts you in the heart of the Lincon Park neighborhood, which is a thriving destination for artisans, and certainly one of Duluth’s trendiest neighborhoods. Read our blog all about this delightful part of downtown Duluth.
While you’re in the neighborhood, you should absolutely stop in for a visit to Wild State Cider as well. Founder Adam Rushland is a former assistant brewer at Voyageur Brewing in Grand Marais, and as such brings something unique to the world of craft ciders. He uses his foundational knowledge to experience with beer years while focusing on dry-hop ciders and drier styles. As such, his ciders tend not to be overly sweet and are still definitely heavy on experimentation. While he does use a lot of Minnesota-grown apples, he also sources fruit from other states when they aren’t grown locally. Their space is big and welcoming, and also offers an expansive outdoor area.
5 More Great Things to do in Duluth This Fall
There’s plenty to love about Duluth. We just wrote a blog about some of our favorite things to do in Duluth this fall. Here are just a few of the ideas we put out in that blog.
- Take a hike – Ely’s Peak is one of our favorites in the fall, but there are limitless opportunities for hiking in the Duluth area.
- Mountain biking trails traverse the rugged forests and hillsides around Duluth, and offer a great way to get outside and appreciate the natural beauty of this area.
- The expansive waters of Lake Superior are ever present in Duluth. Relax, take in the views, watch ships come and go, and kayak or canoe as you explore these stunning waterways. The fall colors on land won’t disappoint.
- Take a scenic drive up the north shore on the North Shore Scenic Byway, or a relaxing ride on the North Shore Scenic Railroad. They’re offering socially distanced rides this fall.
- Visit one of Duluth’s incredible state parks, including Split Rock Lighthouse State Park, Jay Cooke State Park, and Gooseberry Falls State Park.
The Perfect Place to Stay in Duluth
There’s nothing more magical than a fall getaway in Duluth. Duluth really is Minnesota’s top getaway destination and for good reason! Located on the pristine shores of Lake Superior, this ruggedly charming town is built for outdoor enthusiasts, adventurers, lovers, and romantics alike. At the heart of every great getaway are the luxurious accommodations at our Duluth Bed and Breakfast.
While we’re certainly happy to offer you a comfortable place to stay, know that when you choose our Duluth Bed and Breakfast, you’re choosing something much more than a bed and a breakfast. When you stay with us, we take care of every detail of your stay, including a range of small extra touches that have a big impact. As you arrive on our property, you’ll receive a welcome gift bag, filled with things that will make you smile, like your own hand sanitizer, a delicious and individually-wrapped cookie, a water bottle, and a small snack.
We’ll also deliver you a freshly made breakfast to your guest room, at no extra charge. Beyond that, you’re free to roam on our 2 acres of manicured lawn and garden, where you won’t feel cramped and can maintain social distancing to your heart’s desire.
These little things may seem insignificant, but we want nothing more for than you to enjoy an unforgettable fall getaway. Experience the different a safe and small Bed and Breakfast can make. Book a room at our Duluth Bed and Breakfast today!