Cross country skiing is a favorite winter pastime in Minnesota, and it’s no different here in Duluth. If you’re looking for a great getaway destination this winter that offers the perfect mix of relaxation and winter recreation, such as cross country skiing, then consider visiting us at the A.G. Thomson House Bed and Breakfast in Duluth.
Duluth is widely accepted as one of the top destinations in the Midwest for outdoor recreation, and that’s perhaps even more true during these cold winter months. Ski season is underway in Duluth, and we’re loving every minute of it so far. There is truly no reason to stay inside with so much going on outside (though we won’t argue with you if you want to stay indoors the entire time at our Inn, either!).
Curl up in front of the fire, or get outside and explore. You can have it all at our romantic Inn, situated in the heart of Duluth’s historic district and near downtown restaurants and activities. Book your room at our Duluth Bed and Breakfast today.
The Best Cross Country Skiing Trails
Duluth is a veritable winter wonderland. There’s so much to see and do here during the winter, including downhill skiing at snowboarding at Spirit Mountain, snowshoeing on our incredible number of trails, fat tire biking, ice fishing, hockey, ice climbing, and, of course, cross country skiing. Cross country skiing is very popular in Duluth. It’s a great way to get a little exercise while taking in the scenery around town. There are plenty of great cross country ski trails right in the heart of Duluth, too, meaning you won’t have to travel far to get in on some of the most exciting nordic skiing around. Here are a few of our favorite trails:
- The Lester-Amity Trail is by far the most popular of the cross country ski trails in Duluth and is good for both traditional and skate-style skiing. It is even lit up in the evenings, allowing for a beautiful night skiing experience.
- Piedmont Ski Trail is a wonderful place to go for traditional skiers of all levels and offers scenic overlooks of the St. Louis River valley.
- Hartley Nature Center is the perfect place for traditional cross-country skiing at beginner and intermediate levels. These wooded loops include 5 kilometers of double-tracked classic trails. There’s a hilly outer loop and a gentler inner loop, best for those new to the sport.
- Magney-Snively Park lies in the forested hills just beyond spirit Mountain, and rewards cross country skiers with sweeping views over the St. Louis River Estuary. The 14-kilometer trail is hilly and challenging, so best for intermediate to advanced level skiers.
- Chester Park is a great place to go for advanced level skating-style cross-country skiing in Duluth. It’s an enjoyable, but challenging, 3km hilly trail.
- It’s hard to beat the cross country ski trails at Spirit Mountain. In total, there are more than 20 km of groomed trails that wind through the woods.
- Snowflake Nordic Center is a privately operated ski center, and it features 15 kilometers of ski trails, which are groomed daily and are lighted for night skiing.
All cross country skiers over age 16 will want to pick up a Great Minnesota Ski Pass, which is required to ski on groomed trails in Minnesota state parks or state forests. A yearly pass is just $20, or you can buy a daily pass for $6.
Looking for the Best Lodging in Duluth?
You’ve found it! There’s no lodging more distinctive or welcoming than the A.G. Thomson House Bed and Breakfast. While the cross country skiing in Duluth is spectacular, it’s also nice knowing that you’re never more than a few minutes away from a really good restaurant, coffeehouse, or bar. The A.G. Thomson House, located in the heart of Duluth’s Congdon Park District, is easily within reach of many of Duluth’s top ski areas, breweries, restaurants, entertainment venues, and more. Talk about the perfect place to stay!
When you’ve thoroughly exhausted yourself, sink into the luxurious accommodations of the A.G. Thomson House Bed and Breakfast, and get the rest you need for another adventurous day in Duluth. We won’t distrurb you again until morning, when you’ll smell a delicious breakfast ready and waiting for you downstairs. If you have allergies or food restrictions, be sure to tell us about it in advance. We’d love to accommodate you if possible! Book your winter getaway to Duluth today!