As of this posting, we are proud to announce that we have been nominated for the BEST BED AND BREAKFAST AND BEST ROMANTIC GETAWAY! Our guests can now vote for us DAILY for each category. Please share this link with your friends, family, coworkers! A huge thank you to our wonderful family of guests at the AG Thomson House Bed and Breakfast!
Is it time for a long weekend away yet? We think it is! Lucky for you, there are so many fun things to do in Duluth this Summer and it’s best to start planning now. If you’ve not had the chance to visit Duluth, Minnesota then you might not know that it’s a charming little city on the shores of Lake Superior. It’s an absolute dream for outdoor adventures, especially for biking enthusiasts. Also in recent years, Duluth has become quite the hub of culinary talent and nightlife experiences.
The AG Thomson House is in the ultimate location to explore and enjoy all the things to do in Duluth. Our historic Duluth Bed and Breakfast is in the Congdon Mansion District. Which is just a stone’s throw from downtown restaurants and shops, Canal Park, and the amazing Glensheen Mansion. Any of our seven elegant and comfortable guest suites make for a perfect home base while you’re out and about exploring the things to do in Duluth this summer.
To help you parse through all the things to do in Duluth, allow us to break down a three-day itinerary for you. Full of outdoor adventures, popular attractions, breweries or restaurants to visit, and neighborhoods to explore. At our luxury Bed and Breakfast, we’ll take care of your morning meal with hearty “brunch-style” entrees and baked goods. Everything you’ll need before you hit the road out in our lovely city. Start planning your long weekend getaway to Duluth, MN today and get your lodging on the books!
Things to do in Duluth on Your 3-day Itinerary at the AG Thomson House
To best enjoy a long weekend at our boutique Duluth Bed and Breakfast, plan on checking in on a Thursday afternoon. That way you can spend your first night at the Inn, settling in to your guest suite and relaxing here on our two acre estate. You’ll find plenty of private spaces to have a leisurely evening with a glass of wine or a mug of tea by the fire or under the stars in our gazebo. Wake up refreshed and ready to enjoy all there is in store for you on your getaway.
- We suggest staying nearby on your first day in Duluth, there are so many things to do within walking distance from the Inn. After breakfast in the privacy of your own guest suite, head out to explore the Canal Park Neighborhood. Take in the beautiful views of the Aerial Lift Bridge. Then enjoy a stroll on the 4-mile Lakewalk along Lake Superior and watch the ships and boats as they cruise into port.
- Grab a beer with lunch and take a brewery tour—many of our local breweries are clustered right in the Canal Park area. Beer is more than just a beverage here in Duluth. Plus any vacation is a good excuse to have a midday drink! Pop into Ursa Minor Brewing on the patio for easy drinking IPAs, fruity sours, wood-fired pizza, and German soft pretzels.
- After a nice lunch, head to the Lincoln Park Craft District. A popular shopping area for local crafts, goods, coffee, and restaurants. After a long year, these small local businesses appreciate any sale, big or small.
- The Glensheen Mansion is the most visited historic home in all of Minnesota. The 39-room mansion is such a sight to behold, perched on the shores of Lake Superior. Do the tour here and then plan for a fancy Italian meal at Va Bene Caffe, before heading back to the Inn for a nightcap.
- For an adventure a little further out of town, drive up the North Shore Scenic Drive along Highway 61. You’ll take in gorgeous views of the lake, forests of birch and pine, rocky cliffs, and even spot some wildlife along the way.
- About an hour up the Scenic Byway, you’ll find Split Rock State Park & Lighthouse. A quintessential stop to walk along the lakeshore at Pebble Beach. It’s also a popular spot for a swim or stone skipping on the water. Don’t forget to grab a pic for Instagram in front of the Split Rock Lighthouse before touring the historic site.
- If you head a bit further up along the road you’ll hit the Tettagouche State Park for hikes to waterfalls, outlooks over the lake, and rock climbing. Back on the road towards downtown Duluth stop off at Gooseberry Falls State Park to check out the falls and for a picnic lunch. We’ll even pack your picnic for you! An insulated basket with wine, cheese, home baked items, and fresh fruit.
- Explore the outdoors of Jay Cooke State Park, which is just under a half hour from our Duluth Bed and Breakfast. It’s home to the iconic Swinging Bridge spanning the St. Louis River.
- Next up, do some mountain biking at Spirit Mountain Recreation Area. Where the biking trails are always listed in the Top 5 for best mountain biking areas in the mid-west. After a shot down the mountain, head over to Adventure Park for a zip-line ride or a round of disc-golf.
- If water sports are more your speed, Swiftwater Adventures offers whitewater tours on the St. Louis River. Or spend a day kayaking or boating on beautiful Lake Superior. Grab happy hour on the patio at Cafe Frenchie at the Vikre Distillery for a perfect afternoon cocktail. Just what you need after an active day in the great outdoors!
- Spend your last evening with us at the AG Thomson House and bring dinner back to the Inn. If you’ve booked the Ryerson Suite, you can curl up by the fire, after a spa bath in our whirlpool tub for two. Sit back on the comfortable king size bed and put on your favorite reruns of The Office on the brand new smart TV. Relax and recoup before taking off the next morning.
The Perfect Space to Rest and Relax at our Duluth Bed and Breakfast
At our Duluth boutique Bed and Breakfast, we aim to make any long weekend away the best you’ve ever had. You’ll love exploring all the things to do in Duluth, but as many guests tell us, coming back to our Inn is the highlight of the trip. We’ve given you a glimpse of what you can accomplish on a 3-day stay in our lovely town, but this is only the beginning. VOTEMNBEST!
For more insider tips or any questions about our area, the staff at our Inn is happy to help in any way we can. Book your room at our Historic Duluth Bed and Breakfast today!