The Superior Hiking Trail (also known at the SHT) is a 310 mile trial weaving through Northern Minnesota. The majority of the route takes hikers along the rocky edges overlooking Lake Superior. The trail cuts through lush forests of cedar, birch, pine, and aspen. You’ll pass by and over babbling brooks, waterfalls, and some of the most amazing views in all of Minnesota.
There’s a 50-mile segment of the Superior Hiking Trail that begins just southwest of Duluth. It continues on through Jay Cooke Park and the Spirit Mountain Recreation area into the historic downtown district and Canal Park. This part of the Superior Hiking Trail wraps up on the North end of the city. This is the absolute best stretch of the trail for those who are staying in downtown Duluth for an adventurous day hike.
Our Duluth Bed and Breakfast is the ideal location for a vacation centered around exploring the Superior Hiking Trail. The A G Thomson House is consistently rated as the #1 Bed and Breakfast in Duluth on Trip Advisor, and location definitely plays a part in that. The Congdon Mansion District is just minutes from downtown so close to fine-dining, shopping, and activities. However, you’ll also be a stone’s throw to the vast wilderness surrounding the city. It’s truly the best of both worlds! Get your reservation on the books today.
Explore the Beautiful Superior Hiking Trail near Duluth MN
The Superior Hiking Trail is an unique experience, you’ll trek though forests following the “blue blazes” or rectangular markings painted onto the trees leading the way. Due to the vast size and accessibility of this trail, there are so many ways to plan an excursion. There are two main segments that connect to Duluth and there are trailheads every 3-11 miles along the route, which makes these sections ideal for day hikes.
Here’s a breakdown of these two segments of the Superior Hiking Trail near our Duluth Bed and Breakfast:
Southernmost Segment from Minnesota Border into Duluth:
- This is a popular segment of the Superior Hiking Trail for day use. It starts from a trailhead at the Minnesota-Wisconsin border, but there are other places to start on the route closer in to the city.
- Jay Cooke State Park is about 25 minutes from our Duluth Bed and Breakfast and is part of the Superior Hiking Trail. This state park is know for its famous suspension bridge which crosses the St. Louis River.
- Another stop on the Superior Hiking Trail is Enger Park just under 5 miles from our Inn. A popular landmark in town, the Enger Tower, is an 80-foot stone observation tower for panoramic views of the area.
- You’ll continue into the historic downtown area and Canal Park, which offers the four mile lake walk to hike along. This section of the trail is the most accessible from our Bed and Breakfast.
- This section of the Superior Hiking Trail continues on to the Hartley Nature Center and then wraps up on the North side of the city. For a detailed break down of the sections on this part of the trail, check here.
North Shore Section of the Superior Hiking Trail:
- This segment of the Superior Hiking Trail encompasses 260 miles along Lake Superior. It passes through many of the major state parks, including Split Rock Lighthouse State Park, Gooseberry Falls, and Tettegouche State Park.
- This section is also great for planning day hikes. Guests will often choose a State Park they would like to explore and connect to the Superior Hiking Trail from there.
- Routes along the North Shore section of Lake Superior can a bit more advanced, as you gain quite a bit of elevation and some of the landscape is more rugged.
As always when planning a hike in the area, make sure to be prepared with the necessary gear, water, and nourishment. The Superior Hiking Trail Association has lots of tips and resources for guest to explore before they head out.
Stay at our Trip Advisor Top-Rated Duluth Bed and Breakfast
Our Duluth Bed and Breakfast has once again won the Traveler’s Choice Award for 2021 by Trip Advisor! This great honor means that the A G Thomson House has been a number one choice for travelers from all over the world for more than a decade. Which makes us the top rated Bed and Breakfast in not only Duluth, but the whole state of Minnesota.
We believe it’s the casual-elegance and detailed comfort measures that we offer at our B&B that brings guests back year after year. We pride ourselves in our meticulously maintained guest rooms and shared spaces, which even extends outside to our award-winning gardens. It’s truly a space where you can relax and reset. Come see first hand why we’re voted as a Traveler’s Choice every year and book your room today!