The Split Rock Lighthouse State Park just outside of Duluth is a lovely outing to add to your itinerary. Not only is there a ton of outdoor activities to experience at the State Park, the Split Rock Lighthouse is open for guided Keeper’s Tours for a detailed history and lesson on this iconic landmark. Spend some time skipping stones on the smooth surface of the ever-impressive Lake Superior. Hike along the Gitchi-Gami State Trail to rushing waterfalls. And stop off to take in the expansive panoramic views at the overlooks.
When you stay at our Duluth Bed and Breakfast you’ll be less than an hour to the Split Rock Lighthouse State Park. The drive there is all part of the journey! The route takes you right along the shores of Lake Superior. If you’re planning on making a full day of it exploring at the Split Rock Lighthouse State Park, make sure to add on our picnic lunch with wine package. The basket comes fully packed with goodies, so you’ll be all set when you’re ready to stop for lunch at the park.
The A G Thomson House is one of the most spectacular places to spend your time in Duluth. Our elegant and historic Inn has an old world ambience. Perfect for romantic getaways, a quick weekend reprieve from the city, or a longer leisurely stay. This area is an outdoor lover’s paradise. The Split Rock Lighthouse State Park is just one of the many green spaces to explore. Come see all that Duluth has to offer and book your room with us today!
Plan Your Visit to Split Rock Lighthouse State Park in Duluth, MN
Start your day with a delicious and filling brunch-style breakfast at the Inn. Then you’ll be all set to hit the trails at the Split Rock Lighthouse State Park. If you have any questions before you go, please make sure to ask any of our staff. We’re always happy to help. In the meantime, here’s a list of six things to know before you head on your adventure to Split Rock.
- It’s all about the showstopper on the rocky North Shore cliffs at the Split Rock Lighthouse State Park. Starting in 1910, the Split Rock Lighthouse guided freighters away from the treacherous shores until 1969. Thankfully, in 2011 the Minnesota icon was designated a National Historic Landmark and continues to be one of the most visited lighthouses in the nation. As a visitor, you can roam the grounds freely or choose to participate in a guided tour of the facility.
- The Split Rock Lighthouse is such an Instagram-worthy backdrop even the Minnesota Historical Society even has a map with tips for attaining the best photograph. Make sure to tag your photos #splitrocklighthouse!
- The Gitchi-Gami State Trail will eventually be an 86-mile trek connecting five state parks, natural areas, and historical sites. The largest completed stretch of the trail runs right through the Split Rock Lighthouse State Park. Much of the trail is on an abandoned part of Highway 61, while other segments take you along the North Shore of Lake Superior. The trail weaves you through Aspen and birch forests, creeks and waterfalls, and charming, historic towns.
- Another route to check out is the Split Rock River Loop Trail. On the east side of the trail, you’ll find a quaint shelter where you can sit and take in the magnificent view of Lake Superior and the river valley.
- After you’ve broken a sweat hiking along the trails, take a dip in Lake Superior at Pebble Beach. Skipping smooth stones on the lake is a popular pastime with visitors. And the protective cove area is a nice spot for kayaking by Ellingsen Island. It’s BYO-Kayak here, or you could plan on a tour with a local group.
- Just up from Pebble Beach, tucked in the tree line, you’ll find picnic spots to take a break and layout your spread. Toast to a beautiful day at the Split Rock Lighthouse State Park and then head on back to our Duluth Bed and Breakfast.
More to Explore Right nearby our Duluth Bed and Breakfast
When you arrive back at our Duluth Inn, after exploring the iconic Split Rock Lighthouse, we’ll be ready to welcome you. Our Bed and Breakfast is the perfect place to unwind after a day outdoors. Head out to the garden gazebo with a glass of wine or relax in the privacy of your own suite cuddled up by the fire.
At the A G Thomson House, you’ll find romance in the air, we’ve actually had the honor of being nominated by the Star Tribune’s for the “Best of Minnesota” in the “Best Romantic Getaway” category. If you’d like to give us a vote, you can do so here. After you’ve spent even just a few minutes at our Duluth Bed and Breakfast, you’ll see why guests return again and again. Check our availability and book your room today!