Summer in Duluth can only be described as absolutely glorious! And enjoying your summer days at our Top Rated #1 Bed and Breakfast in Duluth is the ideal way to enjoy your summer getaways! Temperatures are mild allowing you to enjoy all that the great outdoors and all the adventures a Minnesota summer getaway offers. There are numerous events going on throughout the summer to keep you busy, or you can just relax and enjoy this spectacular time of year in the “San Francisco of the Midwest”.
Listed in the summer itinerary are just a few events, suggestions and ideas to spend your day(s) or night(s) when visiting our Bed and Breakfast in Duluth MN.
Your day starts on our grand veranda with our special blend of roasted Alakef coffee, while the sun rises over Lake Superior. It’s summer in Duluth, so it’s time to get outside and enjoy all the city and region has to offer.
- If you’re a golfer, begin your day on one of the city’s beautiful courses with the best view, Enger Golf Course.
- Or if you’re not a golfer, enjoy strolling through one of our many city parks; with two of our favorites being the Lester Park Trail and Enger Tower Park and Gardens.
- Next head down to the Leif Erickson Rose Garden and enjoy the pure beauty of the spectacular gardens with the perfect backdrop of Lake Superior, then pick up the Lakewalk and stroll east or west along Lake Superior’s shores.
- Now you’ve worked up quite the appetite, so take a break for a tasty lunch at 7 West Taphouse, a unique brewpub located on West Superior Street. Or stroll over to Canal Park and check out the Canal Park Brewing Company for a frothy beverage!
- After lunch, head down to Canal Park and book a tour on the Vista Fleet. Tours on the Vista will take you out onto Lake Superior and then into the harbor where you will see some of the great ships loading and unloading, as well as be informed with some fascinating history of shipping in our region.
- After you’re filled with shipping history, take a tour of an actual ship; the William A. Irvin Ore Boat Museum, and get inside look at one of these amazing vessels.
- After a quick nap back at the Bed and Breakfast, dinner awaits. Duluth has such a great variety of restaurants, most independent and non-chain, to experience. Tonight is a great night to head back down to Canal Park and dine at the Lake Avenue Restaurant & Bar for an amazing gourmet meal. After dinner, you may want to work off that dinner and do a little shopping at one of our favorite spots, Lake Superior Art Glass, where you will find the most unique and beautiful hand-blown glass as the perfect remembrance of your time in Duluth!
Whew! What a great day spent yesterday exploring Duluth’s golf courses, shops, etc. So maybe today you’ll take it a little bit easier but still experience the beauty of our North Shore treasure after a delicious multi-course breakfast delivered to your room.
- After savoring another delicious breakfast, take a relaxing and scenic ride on the North Shore Scenic Railroad. Options include the 1 ½ hour Lester River Train, or the 6 hour Two Harbors Train where you enjoy a day leisurely traveling up the shore, with a two-hour layover to shop, sight see, and dine in Two Harbors before returning to Duluth.
- Upon your return to Duluth, head back down to Canal Park and stop in at the Northern Waters Smokehaus for a sandwich or gourmet snack to take on a picnic on Duluth’s Park Point, across the Aerial Lift Bridge. Settle in at the park, or stroll on to the sandy beach and lay down a blanket to enjoy your tasty treats on the beaches of Lake Superior. Soak in the sun, listen to the soft slosh of the waves, and breathe in the pure, fresh air wafting over you. Today has been dedicated to relaxing and unwinding, and tonight will be too.
- Dinner tonight will be savored at the VaBene Berarducci, another amazing Duluth restaurant. This is the finest Italian food, in a beautiful atmosphere with sweeping views of Lake Superior. After dinner, take in a leisurely stroll along the Lakewalk. For dessert, stop in at the historic PortLand Malt Shoppe for a decadent ice cream treat!
- Still in the mood for a little nightlife? Just across the street and down a few steps from the PortLand Malt Shoppe, pop in and Sir Benedict’s Tavern on the Lake. Often you’ll be fortunate to find live music playing to end your perfect.
It’s another glorious day in Duluth! This morning, grab that coffee cup and fill it with our delightfully roasted A G Thomson House blend, and step outside on our beautiful grounds. Stroll along the “Bear Mulch Nature Trail”, aptly named by our daughter and niece because of the Black Bear that once visited us; then nestle in the cedar swing rested along the tree line next to the Pond/Waterfall that will be bubbling.
- Today’s itinerary will start you out at the historic Glensheen Mansion, originally home to the richest man in Minnesota and now an incredible museum open daily for tours. Experience a step back in time, where forward thinking abounded with unbelievable beauty and modern details for the period in which it was built.
- Take the extended tour; it’s worth it! After touring the Glensheen Mansion, continue up Scenic Highway 61 and pull in at Brighton Beach. This is one of our favorite spots in town with an incredible view of the city from its rocky and jagged shoreline.
- Continue up the North Shore on Scenic Hwy 61 and stop in at Russ Kendall’s Smokehouse and pick up some delicious smoked fish and cheese to take home with you, or enjoy as a snack or for a picnic while traveling up the shore. Not much further up the North Shore is Gooseberry Falls State Park. You can spend a little time here, or a lot, depending upon what you’re in the mood for. The trails at Gooseberry offer visitors a nice stroll, or a long hike through evergreen and birch trails.
- Next stop…Split Rock Lighthouse! Another incredible site to spend time and enjoy the beauty of Lake Superior and the history of one of our nation’s most beautiful historic lighthouses! Continue along the shores of Lake Superior, or head back to Duluth.
- After a visit to the Split Rock Lighthouse, continue up Scenic Highway 61 where you shouldn’t miss a stop at the stunning Black Sand Beach!
- Upon your return to Duluth, take a side journey at the east end of town and head up Seven Bridges Road and along Skyline Parkway. Another incredibly beautiful drive in Duluth, Seven Bridges Road is spectacular as it winds its way through forests of pine and birch, intertwining with Amity Creek and Lester River before they enter Lake Superior.
- Connecting with Skyline Parkway and Hawk Ridge, you will be amazed at what you just experienced as you head back “home” to our Duluth Bed and Breakfast!
- After resting and relaxing from another fun filled day, take the evening to dine at another one of Duluth’s fine restaurants. Located just seven blocks from our Inn, Tavern on the Hill is the perfect spot for a diverse menu of amazing food and cocktails that can be enjoyed on their outdoor patio! If it’s one of Duluth’s cooler summer evenings, you may even enjoy your cocktail by the fire pit! The Tavern on the Hill is an ideal distance to walk and enjoy a Duluth summer evening.