As we officially say goodbye to summer and welcome fall, it’s time to start looking towards another spectacular fall season in Duluth, Minnesota. Fall foliage is already showing hints of its colorful hues in the surrounding hillsides. As the air begins to cool, we’ll soon be surrounded by fall’s hallmark hues of crimson, orange, yellow, and green. Whether you want to enjoy fall by foot or behind the wheel, you won’t have to go far to see the finest fall foliage Minnesota has to offer. Book your room at our luxurious Duluth Bed and Breakfast today. For maximum enjoyment, you may want to consider a midweek stay to avoid the inevitable fall crowds.
Fall Foliage Delights in Duluth
The fall color show in Duluth is nothing short of spectacular. The unique climatic effect of Lake Superior allows for an incredibly vibrant and long lasting display, which typically stretches from mid-September through Late October. The first to turn will be the inland trees, especially the maples along the ridge lines. Afterwards, the aspens and birch will follow with bright pockets of gold. Getting up close and personal on the many hiking or biking trails around Duluth is the best way to experience fall foliage season, but there are also a variety of scenic drives and other activities that are just as rewarding. The Fall Color Report provided by North Shore Visitor is a great place to stay up to date on what is happening, and where you’ll have the best opportunity to view colors. Here are our favorite ways to enjoy the array of fall colors in Duluth:
- Ride a train with the North Shore Scenic Railroad. This is by far one of the most scenic rides up the North Shore, and a spectacular way to take in colorful displays of fall foliage on the North Shore.
- Head up to Spirit Mountain. Here, you can choose to explore the miles of scenic hiking and biking trails, or sit back and relax while enjoying the beautiful colors all around you as you ride to the top on a scenic chairlift.
- Tour the beautiful grounds at the historic Glensheen Mansion.
- Drive the North Shore Scenic Byway, which is without a doubt one of the most popular scenic drives to take each fall in Minnesota.
- Ride the Summit Express Gondola at Lutsen Mountains, where you’ll enjoy spectacular views of the Sawtooth Mountains and Lake Superior’s dramatic coastline, alight in the fiery colors of fall.
- Hike the 18 miles of trails at Gooseberry Falls State Park, where you’ll find lumpy floes of ancient lava holding up the Upper and Lower Falls.
- Hike to High Falls at Tettegouche State Park, where you’ll find the tallest waterfall completely within Minnesota, a suspension bridge, and incomparable views of Palisade Head to the South.
- Take the two mile trek to Oberg Mountain, where you’ll find incredible views of inland maples lit in brilliant hues of reds and oranges.
Though these are all guaranteed ways to enjoy Mother Nature’s show this fall, you don’t even have to leave the beautiful grounds of our Duluth Bed and Breakfast to enjoy fall foliage season. Relax in our 2 private and beautiful acres, where you’ll find our award winning gardens, a spacious veranda, a gazebo, and our very own waterfall. There’s no better choice for lodging in Duluth. Book your fall stay at our award-winning Bed and Breakfast today.