In the great state of Minnesota, we love the outdoors. One of the most lovely pastimes is searching for wildflowers on these hikes in Duluth MN. Late spring and early summer are the best times to find fields speckled with bright blooms, delicate Trilliums bursting from the forest floor, and even rare woodland orchids. On these hikes in Duluth MN you’ll also see breathtaking views of Lake Superior, cascading waterfalls, and diverse groupings of trees and plant life. When you stay in Duluth, you have the best of both worlds, beautiful scenery and a bustling metropolis.
One of the most popular places for hikes in Duluth MN is the Superior Hiking Trail. The hundreds of miles long trail mostly traverses the rocky ridges of Lake Superior, but weaves you through picturesque wooded areas and passing by or through streams and creeks. Hopefully, if you’re there at the right season, beautiful wildflower blooms as well. The Superior Hiking Trail is split up into segments, two of which head straight into Duluth, which makes it one of the best hiking areas in all of Minnesota.
Our Duluth Bed and Breakfast is a great location for outdoor enthusiasts. We’re within minutes of downtown for dining and shopping, but only quick scenic rides to the amazing state parks and trails along the lake for hikes in Duluth MN. Luckily for those who are on the hunt for wildflowers, you’ll also love our award-winning gardens at the Inn. Our manicured grounds come alive with flowers this time of year and you’ll find many charming outdoor spaces to take in the fresh air. Check our availability today and book your room with us!
Beautiful Hikes in Duluth MN with Wildflower Blooms
Spending a day outdoors on these hikes in Duluth MN searching for wildflowers is such a nice way to spend your time. Thankfully, as a guest at our Bed and Breakfast you’ll start your day with an amazing gourmet brunch. The menu is ever changing, but you may see dishes like lemon lavender French toast, savory strata or omelette’s and home baked muffins and scones. Everything you’ll need to get going before your excursion out into the Duluth wilderness.
Here are 6 of our favorite hikes in Duluth MN to find wildflower blooms:
Along the Superior Hiking Trail:
- Elys Peak Trail: This hike near Duluth is considered to be moderately difficult. The 1.7 mile loop takes you through old growths forests and waterways. But if your timing is right, the ground might be blanketed with Trilliums.
- Hartley Nature Center Trailhead: Located in the Woodland neighborhood, this city park spans 660 acres. You’ll find 10 miles of hiking and biking trails to explore.
- Duluth to Two Harbors: The second leg of the Superior Hiking Trail leads from trailheads in Duluth all the way up along the lake about 50 miles to Two Harbors, MN. This is one of the best hikes in Duluth MN to hunt for wildflowers.
Jay Cooke State Park:
- Silver Creek Trail: This 3.5 mile loop includes the famous Swinging Bridge and then weaves through birch and basswood trees. Yellow Lady-Slippers are the blooms to keep your eyes out for in springtime.
- Carlton Trail Trip: For a more rugged hike, this challenging five mile loop offers spectacular views of the St. Louis River. You’ll pass by the pioneer cemetery, through shady forests, and hopefully see some wildflowers.
Hawk Ridge Bird Observatory
- This 235 acres of undeveloped land has about four miles of hiking trails. Partnered with the Duluth Audubon Society, this bird observatory is an education center. They track migration and monitor populations of hawks, raptors, and owls. As you explore, you might come across wildflowers in the natural flora of the area, but keep your eye up for these amazing flyers too.
Enjoy Luxury Lodging at our Duluth Bed and Breakfast
At the A G Thomson House we understand how it’s the small details that can make a stay extra special. That’s why we’re constantly updating and continuing to make sure our Inn has the newest amenities. The most recent addition are two Level 2 EV charging stations for our guests convenience. With these full powered stations, you can rest easy knowing that your electric rental or personal vehicle will be fully charged up and ready to take you on your next adventure in Duluth.
Our Duluth Bed and Breakfast consistently ranks as number one in our city as the best and the most romantic. Additionally, we have the honor of being a “Traveler’s Choice Award” on Trip Advisor for over a decade now. As you’ll see on your stay with us, we take hospitality seriously, but with open arms and a friendly smile. We can’t wait to host you. Book your next stay today!