Are you in search of a fun weekend in the snow? If so, Duluth is the place to be. Cross country skiing is very popular in Duluth during the winter, as it’s a great way to get a little exercise while enjoying the incredible beauty that awaits outside our doors. Though there is no reason to stay inside with so much going on outside, there’s nothing wrong with that, either. Our Inn gives you the opportunity to enjoy both sides of Duluth. Curl up in front of the fire, or get outside and explore, all when you stay at our romantic Duluth Bed and Breakfast this winter. Book your winter getaway with us today!
The Best Cross Country Skiing Trails
Having once been voted Outdoor Magazines “Best Town Ever,” it should come as no surprise that Duluth is a winter wonderland, filled with a broad range of exciting winter activities to enjoy during these coldest of months. Countless trails criss-cross their way through the forests and valleys, over the rugged peaks, and along the beautiful frozen vistas that Duluth is famous for. In fact, Duluth offers some of the best cross country skiing in the state of Minnesota. Here are a few of the best trails around Duluth:
- Lester-Amity Trail, by far the most popular in Duluth, is good for both traditional and skate-style skiing, and it is even lit on one portion for some incredible night skiing. The trail is 15-kilometers long.
- Piedmont Ski Trail is a wonderful place to go for traditional skiers of all levels, and offers scenic overlooks of the St. Louis River valley.
- Hartley Nature Center is the perfect place for traditional cross-country skiing at beginning and intermediate levels. These wooded loops include 5 kilometers of double-tracked classic trails. There’s a hilly outer loop and a gentler inner loop, best for those new to the sport.
- Magney-Snively Park lies in the forested hills just beyond spirit Mountain, and rewards cross country skiers with sweeping views over the St. Louis River Estuary. The 14-kilometer trail is hilly and challenging, so best for intermediate to advanced level skiers.
- Chester Park is a great place to go for advanced level skating-style cross-country skiing in Duluth. It’s an enjoyable, but challenging, 3km hilly trail.
- It’s hard to beat the trails at Spirit Mountain. In total, there are more than 20 km of groomed trails that wind through the woods.
- Snowflake Nordic Center is a privately operated ski center, and features 15 kilometers of trails, which are groomed daily and are lighted for night skiing.
While the cross country skiing in Duluth is spectacular, it’s also nice knowing that you’re never more than a few minutes away from a really good restaurant, coffeehouse, or bar. Afterwards, sink into the luxurious accommodations of the A.G. Thomson House Bed and Breakfast, and get the rest you need for another adventurous day in Duluth. The snow conditions are perfect. Book your ski getaway to Duluth today!