This summer, travelers are expected to stick a little closer to home, perhaps taking getaways that are within driving distance from their home, or even enjoying staycations. Minnesotans are lucky to have some pretty great destinations to travel to in their state, including Duluth. No matter the season, there are always plenty of things to do in Duluth. From enjoying the incredible natural scenery in the area to sampling some of Minnesota’s best beer, there are so many ways to enjoy some time this summer on the shores of beautiful Lake Superior.
And, if you’re looking for someplace safe to stay, you’ve found it. Our luxury Bed and Breakfast has just 7 guest rooms, so you can rest assured knowing you’ll never be surrounded by large crowds. We’ve enhanced our already stringent procedures for cleanliness, and have recently been award the AAA Inspector’s Best of Housekeeping Award. You can read more about what we’re doing at our property to keep you safe. Once you feel comfortable, book your room at our Duluth Bed and Breakfast and start planning in a little bit of fun this summer.
Our Favorite Things to do in Duluth
Even if you visit the North Shore every year, you’ll find that there are always new things to do in Duluth. Whether it’s new trails to hike and bike, new parts of Lake Superior or the St. Louis River to explore by kayak/canoe, new attractions to visit, new restaurants to try, or new breweries to enjoy, Duluth is always full of surprises. The ever-changing nature of this beautiful place is one of our favorite things about it.
This summer, join us for a few of those much-needed restful days and let us show you a whole new side of Duluth. With a mind on sticking largely to the outdoors, maintaining social distancing, and supporting Duluth’s incredible small businesses, here are 10 of our favorite things to do in Duluth that we think you should enjoy thsi summer:
- Duluth is pretty well known for its breweries, so of course, visiting as many of them as possible during your time here is in order. One of our favorites is Blacklist Brewing Co., which also offers Axe Throwing!
- Ship watching is a novelty in Duluth, and something you’ll definitely want to enjoy this summer. Mill around the Canal Park neighborhood, and enjoy the sights and sounds of a giant seagoing vessel pulling into the harbor under the iconic Aerial Lift Bridge.
- Enjoy lunch at Sara’s Table Chester Creek Cafe. It has delicious offerings for everyone, but especially sustainably-minded consumers, vegans, and vegetarians.
- Forget the PJs, and get dressed and head out to enjoy Duluth’s incredible nightlife. There’s always live music somewhere around Duluth, and plenty of places to grab a well-made and handcrafted cocktail. Maybe even make it an evening, and attend a performance at one of Duluth’s incredible performing arts centers?
- Explore some of the beautiful Minnesota State Parks in the area, like Jay Cooke State Park, Gooseberry Falls State Park, Tettagouche State Park, and Split Rock Lighthouse State Park. None of them will disappoint!
- Hike up to Ely’s Peak, and enjoy one of the best views looking down over Duluth. As you make the trek to the top, don’t miss your chance to walk through the old DWP railroad tunnel.
- Duluth provides a number of opportunities to hike stretches of the Superior Hiking Trail, which extends for 300 incredible miles from the Canadian border.
- Head out to the tip of Duluth’s Park Point, and enjoy a day spent amongst the sand dunes, marveling in the views and the crystal clear water of Lake Superior.
- Find the time for some serenity and kayak around Duluth. With Lake Superior stretching out for miles before you, along with the St. Louis River and other small lakes and rivers in the area, there is no shortage of waterways to explore in the area. You’ll get an entirely new appreciation for just how beautiful Duluth is from this vantage point.
- Normally, we’d recommend attending at least one of the many great summer festivals that come to Duluth, but they’ve been canceled for this year. So, instead, we recommend getting comfortable in our hammock and relaxing the day away in our beautifully landscaped back yard.
Stay Small, Stay Safe at our Duluth Bed and Breakfast
After you’ve exhausted the days’ worth of things to do in Duluth, it’s time for some R&R. Our Bed and Breakfast will be more than happy to welcome you home. When looking for a place to stay in Duluth, it’s the little things that really matter. And it’s the little things that we excel at here at the A.G. Thomson House Bed and Breakfast.
With 2 acres to roam, you won’t feel cramped and can maintain social distancing to your heart’s desire. As you arrive on our property, you’ll receive a welcome gift bag, filled with things that will make you smile, like your own hand sanitizer, a delicious and individually-wrapped cookie, a water bottle, and a small snack. And, for now, at least, we’ll deliver you a freshly made breakfast to your guest room, at no extra charge.
These little things may seem insignificant, but each is designed to ensure you not only enjoy your time here just as much as you would in normal times, but ensures your (and our) safety as well. Come experience all of the incredible things Duluth has to offer this summer. Book a room at our historic Bed and Breakfast today!