There was a recent story on MPR News titled “What Makes Duluth Duluth?” We thought it was a great question, and it made for an interesting listen, too. In short, the answer to that question was, by and large, Lake Superior. It’s hard to argue with that, as Lake Superior seems to be at the center of just about everything we do. Whether it’s part of business, part of an activity, or we’re just looking for a better view of it, Lake Superior is definitely a fixture in the daily life of Duluthians. But for us, Duluth is so much more than Lake Superior. Duluth is a fascinating town, with an abundance of small town character, and the perfect combination of those big city amenities travelers crave. Duluth’s growth has been driven by its large international port, by the large population of students attending one of the six colleges here or nearby, and by its ever-increasing tourism industry. For that, we have you to thank. Come visit us in Duluth, and see just how great this town truly is. Book a room at the A. G. Thomson House Bed and Breakfast today!
10 Great Reasons to Visit Duluth
So, what is it that makes Lake Superior such a popular draw, and inspires travelers to drive for hours to get here? According to the MPR story, the answer predominately is the relatively health of Lake Superior. As the largest of the Great Lakes, it’s also a very healthy lake, with clear and pristine water, even in the face of drastic climate change in the area. Beyond this incredible lake that offers us so much opportunity and is so integral to our lives in Duluth, here are 10 great reasons to visit us this Spring and Summer:
- Take advantage of the incredible hiking trails in the area. One option is the Superior Hiking Trail, which is a 310-mile trail stretching from Duluth to the Canadian border.
- Duluth has some of the country’s best mountain biking trails, including those found at Spirit Mountain, Hartley Park, Lester Park, Piedmont Park, and Mission Creek.
- Go kayaking on the pristine waters of Lake Superior. The Duluth Experience leads tours on Lake Superior and the St. Louis River. For a truly memorable experience, book a sunset tour on the lake.
- Sample the many great craft breweries in the area, or take a brewery tour with The Duluth Experience. Our great beer is due in part to the clean Lake Superior water that is used in crafting their delicious brews
- Take in one of the many great shows in our thriving theaters and playhouses. Duluth is home to many artistic venues, including the Duluth Playhouse, and the recently renovated and reopened Norshore Theatre.
- Come watch giant oceangoing ships make their way through the iconic Aerial Lift Bridge as they pull into Duluth’s busy harbor.
- Visit the Lincoln Park Craft District, a recently revitalized neighborhood in Duluth that is home to a variety of artisans and entrepreneurs.
- Enjoy a classic romantic getaway, with delicious restaurants and a great selection of nightlife in Duluth and surrounding towns.
- Come for one of our many festivals, including the Homegrown Music Festival in April/May, Duluth Film Festival in June, the Park Point Art Fair in June, the Duluth Airshow in July, the Bayfront Blues Festival in August, and the new Independent TV and Film Festival that is coming to Duluth this October.
- Spend a day at the beach, or in the many great parks surrounding Duluth. Popular parks include Park Point, Jay Cooke State Park, Gooseberry Falls State Park, and Split Rock Lighthouse.
That list may seem like a lot to pack into your itinerary while you’re here, but it doesn’t even scratch the surface of possibilities in Duluth. This town is truly a four-season destination, so you’ll just have to come back time and time again to see what else this incredible town has in store for you. And, as always, when looking for lodging, look no further than our luxury Duluth Bed and Breakfast. Book your room today!