Policies & Information
For your convenience, below are a few details and information to help you plan and enjoy your time while visiting us.
- CHECK IN time for Sunday thru Friday is between 4:00 – 6:00 pm. Check in time for SATURDAY only arrival time is between 3:00 – 4:00 pm. Due to staffing, please notify us well in advance, prior to your day of arrival, if you anticipate a later arrival. Arrivals outside of the the check in window may require a self check-in. We offer a streamlined self check-in process with customized and detailed arrangements to make it convenient and easy. We are happy to make this work for you so you do not feel rushed!
- As we prepare for our arrivals, the Inn is closed for check ins or bag drops between the hours of 11:00 am and 4:00 pm (Saturday ONLY 11 am to 3 pm).
- CHECK OUT is by 11:00 am. Due to high turnover and incoming reservations we are unable to accommodate late departures past 11:00 AM. Thank you in advance for your respect of our check out time allowing us to prepare for our incoming guests.
- Deposits: a 50% deposit for a multiple night reservation (100% of your total stay will be billed for a one night booking) is required at the time of your reservation. We accept Discover, Visa, Mastercard, and U.S. Currency. Rates and policies are based on double occupancy only and are subject to change at any time. Use of a gift certificate or gift card MUST be indicated at the time of booking to avoid an additional fee.
- Reservations: We require a two night minimum stay on the weekends (or holiday/special events) which typically includes a Friday and Saturday. A two night weekend stay that includes a Thursday & Friday, OR a Saturday & Sunday is welcome; however the regular weekend rate will be charged for each night. Holidays and special event days will be charged at the weekend rate, and may require a minimum two night stay. Holiday weekends may include but are not limited to New Year’s Eve/Day, Valentine’s Day, President’s Day, Memorial Day, Tall Ships Event, Fourth Fest/Fourth of July, Blues Fest, Labor Day, etc. All rates are subject to change and are subject to increasing based on occupancy and special event/holiday dates.
- A refund of your deposit on a multiple-night stay or payment on a single-night stay (less a $100 cancellation fee for a reservation of up to 2 days; an additional $30 per day fee will be added for each additional day over 2 days cancelled of the reservation) will be offered for cancellations 30 or more days in advance of your scheduled arrival. Refunds will be processed 10 -14 business days after the cancellation has occurred. All cancellations received 29 days or less prior to your scheduled date of arrival will be charged for the full dates/balance of your reservation. If a gift certificate/gift card is used for your stay, the value of the certificate may be retained to cover the cancellation fee and/or entire cost of the reservation.
Cancellations greatly affect a small Inn like ours. The A G Thomson House is a small Bed and Breakfast and, unlike most hotels, we do not over book our room inventory, nor have a high volume of rooms to offer. When we guarantee an accommodation, it will not be booked to another party. We enter into a contract with the guest and remove that room from our available inventory thus lose the opportunity to sell it to others and guaranteeing you the particular room of your choice; that is why it is important for the guarantee to be honored both ways. Because we will strictly adhere to our policy, we strongly recommend travel insurance for the unexpected life event. A request to change the date/move a reservation is considered a cancellation request because we are potentially losing the ability to re-book that room and all policies will apply.Our regular cancellation policy does not apply to Grandma’s Marathon, Special Events such as Tall Ships, Group Events or Group Bookings. See below for details regarding these types of bookings:
- Grandma’s Marathon/Special Event (Tall Ships, etc.) Bookings: A three-night stay at the weekend rate is required for the weekend of Grandma’s Marathon (June 18, 2016). Days can include either a Thursday, Friday, and Saturday OR Friday, Saturday, and Sunday only – Saturday arrivals will not be accepted, nor adjustments to a reservation leaving a Saturday open will be allowed. . Grandma’s Marathon and Special Event booking cancellations are as follows: Upon booking your three-night stay, we will process 50% of your stay/reservation total. This amount is non-refundable and will be forfeited upon cancellation at any time and for any reason. Sixty (60) days prior to your arrival, we will bill the balance of your reservation/stay. At this time, cancellation of your three-night stay for any reason will result in the forfeit of your entire payment regardless of the date and time of your cancellation, or whether we are able to re-book the room. A credit toward a future stay will not be provided. We regret that no exceptions will be made to this cancellation policy.
- Group Reservations/Cancellation Policy: A group reservation is when two or more rooms are booked at the same time, for the same period of time, traveling together or for an event being held in the area or at the Inn. Our Grandma’s Marathon Cancellation Policy (payment policy may differ slightly) will apply to all group reservations.
- Travel Insurance: We highly recommend purchasing Travel Insurance; due to our cancellation policy that will be strictly enforced. We are not affiliated with, nor recommend, any particular company. We are providing some travel insurance options for consideration in respect to our strict cancellation policy: **http://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/ **http://www.travelguard.com/ **http://www.travelexinsurance.com/.
- Occupancy: All of our rooms (and rates) are based on Single or Double Occupancy only. Due to health code regulations we cannot and do not accommodate more than two persons to a room.
- Third Party Gift Certificates: We accept MBBA, BedandBreakfast.com, and BnBfinder.com gift cards/certificates with stated exceptions of special event days/holidays, etc. as noted in our policies or at the discretion of the Innkeeper. Gift certificates or gift cards are only valid on a Room Stay only and cannot be applied toward the purchase of merchandise or package items. Rate and/or room discounts or special packages or specials will not be applied or available when a gift certificate/card is used under any circumstances. This includes any mid-week specials or other advertised specials. Use of a gift certificate must be advised at the time of booking, and a two night minimum may be required based upon occupancy and date of reservation.
- House Gift Certificates: We offer and sell AG Thomson House gift certificates/cards. Gift certificates/cards are valid for use on a Room Stay only and cannot be used toward the purchase of merchandise or package items. Rate and/or room discounts, special packages or specials will not be applied or available when a gift certificate/card of any type is used under any circumstances. This includes any mid-week specials or other advertised specials/packages. Restrictions are noted on the certificate. Use of a gift certificate must be advised at the time of booking, and a two night minimum may be required based upon occupancy and date of reservation. Minnesota gift certificates do not expire, therefore black out dates and date use restrictions will apply to any and all gift certificates/cards sold or accepted. Any fees such as cancellation or re-booking, etc. will be deducted from the original amount of the certificate if necessary. Gift certificates cannot be transferred to another party if the recipient is unable or unwilling to use the certificate. Lost or stolen gift certificates or gift cards will not be replaced.
- Events/Group/Wedding Bookings: The AG Thomson House Bed and Breakfast is able to hold small events, or reserve the Inn for a group or group event. Please contact the Innkeeper for details, fees, and booking requirements. Group events may require the entire Inn and/or part of the Inn to be booked, as well as a Use of Space Fee will be applied. A minimum fee for Use of Space for small events begins at $750 and may increase based upon needs and time requirement. Small Wedding Use of Space fee begins at $1200 and may increase based upon needs, and time requirement. Maximum occupancy for any event held at the Inn, whether outside or inside, is 25. All weddings (that are not a quick elopement type of event) will require the entire Inn to be booked. All event and use of space deposits are non-refundable. Please refer to our Group Reservation/Cancellation Policy for details regarding cancellation.
- Quiet Season and High Season: We are somewhat flexible on our two night weekend stay policy during our Quiet Season; please inquire – some restrictions or fees may apply. Holidays and special events, as well as gift certificate usage, are exceptions and will require a two-night weekend stay. Holidays and special event days will be charged at the weekend rate, and may require a minimum two night stay. Holiday weekends may include but are not limited to December 26 through January 1, Valentine’s Day, President’s Day, Memorial Day, Tall Ships Event, Fourth Fest/Fourth of July, Blues Fest, Labor Day, etc.
- Tall Ships Events: A three-night stay at the weekend or yield management (occupancy increase) rate is required for this event. Our regular cancellation policy does not apply to this special event. Upon booking your three-night stay, we will process 50% of your stay/reservation total. This amount is non-refundable and will be forfeited upon cancellation at any time and for any reason. Grandma’s Marathon cancellation policy will apply to all Tall Ships Events: Gift certificates, gift cards, or credits of any kind will not be accepted for this event. Sixty (60) days prior to your arrival, we will bill the balance of your reservation/stay. At this time, cancellation of your three-night stay for any reason will result in the forfeit of your entire payment regardless of the date and time of your cancellation, or whether we are able to rebook the room. A credit toward a future stay will not be provided. We regret that no exceptions will be made to this cancellation policy.
- We are a Smoke-Free Facility: The AG Thomson House is proud to offer a smoke-free environment. Smoking is not permitted in guest rooms, on guest room balconies, indoor or outdoor public areas, nor anywhere on our grounds where it may impact other guests or pose a fire hazard. We will assess a $750 fee to your credit card for any violations of our no smoking policy and we reserve the right to ask you to leave the premises immediately. If the room is damaged or requires an excessive amount of cleaning; an additional cleaning fee will be assessed to your credit card at a minimum hourly rate of $95/hour and any damages will be assessed the value of repair or replacement. Violation of this policy also violates Minnesota State Law and you may subject to the cost of the fine. Our non-smoking policy includes all types of tobacco, as well as e-cigarettes, etc.
- Candles: As required by law and fire code, and for the safety and security of all of our guests, we are unable to allow the use of open flames such as candles, etc.
- Whirlpools: We offer our wonderful selection of scents for use in our whirlpools. We ask that you please do not use ANY other products such as bubble bath, oatmeal blends, etc. because they will cause damage to the jets and lines of the whirlpool.
- Use of any oils that contain Grapeseed oil are not allowed. We have found that this type of oil causes PERMANENT damage to linens.
- We offer convenient and secure off street parking on our grounds located behind the Inn. Upon arrival, pull in our driveway to the right of the house and this will take you to our secure parking lot. To ensure a space for all of our guests, please park between the lights, or reflective poles (during winter months).
- We are cleaning green! In our efforts toward environmental responsibility, we use only green cleaners.
- We welcome young adults 14 and older only. Sorry, we are not able to accommodate small children.
- We are the ultimate animal lovers; however for the safety, comfort, and convenience of all of our guests, we regret that we do not allow pets.
- Exclusivity: Rooms and house use are for REGISTERED GUESTS of the AG Thomson House only. For the comfort, convenience, respect of privacy, and to ensure a quiet, quality stay for all of our guests, we ask that you do not bring in guests, friends, or family that you are visiting in the area. We are happy to pre-arrange a tour of the common areas of the Inn with advance notice.
SPECIALS & PACKAGES
Pamper yourself and your companion with any one of our unique and special packages that are sure to enhance your stay at our Duluth Bed and Breakfast!